• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wheels and tires for my 09

richingalveston

I am working to complete my 1009 build and am having difficulty deciding on the wheels and tires. I have searched and read most threads on the forum and it has not helped me to decide.

A little info on my 1009.
I have added a 4 inch ORD shackle flip lift with zero rates, upgraded to dana 60 front with e-locker, 14 bolt rear, 4.56 gears (got them form my 1008 parts truck). I am using the 208 transfer case from the truck with a 4l80e transmission. One of these days I will upgrad to a doubler.

The current stock 16.5 inch 1008 truck rims are what I currently have but I am not happy with the tire choices to go with 16.5 rim and the cost.

I would prefer to go with a bead lock rim and 37 inch tire but cannot find any aftermarket stuff that looks military. I do not want fancy rims, I need tough dependable ones. I would also like to go to a 17 inch rim in order to get better prices and choices in tires.

I ran BF goodrich AT's on all my previous trucks and like them for the road, and rocky hard ground but they are not very good mud tires and the largest they make is 35 inch which is actually a 34.4 inch and thats not big enough.

My 1009 will be %50 street, %40 mud, %10 other off road. I have cattle and spend a lot of time in muddy cow pasture and street.

Getting the correct wheel is my biggest issue, recentered hummers appear to be the most popular and I like the look but I beleive these are still 16.5 which still limits my tire choices and I am not sure how hard it is to recenter them. It seems that all hummer rims that are for sale still need to be recentered to run on 1009

Just in a pickle on wheels and tires and would like to get input on other options.

Thanks for everyones input, really appreciate the forum.

Rich in Galveston
85 M1009

MT4222

I think your best bet would be to order a set of 37 inch hummve tires from trail worthy fab. And use hummve beadlocks they will weld in new centers with the lug pattern and backspacing of your choice. This way it will be military parts. This is what im doing to my m1009

Danger Ranger

If you don't do the above, then get some Firestone Destination MTs on 16 inch rims. There are still plenty of tires for that rim size, and are cheaper than tires for 17" rims. The Firestones are a classic mud terrain pattern, but they have a harder compound so they have been lasting longer on the road. I have GoodYear Duratracs. They are also sweet, great for the winter snow and ice, but are quieter than the BFG ATs on road, and do ok in the mud. My Jeep Cherokee is doing fine.

Other good ones would be Nitto Trail Grapplers, but I would like to see a set of General Grabber baja tires...

Attachments

Last edited:

CUCVSRK

wow sounds like your really in a pickle I would go with the 16.5 hummer beedlocks with the hummer tires but I have also heard good things about thoseNitto trail graplers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks