• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

where's my drive shaft?

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Looked at the threads couldn't find the answer. looked in the bbok, couldn't find the answer. So i got to ask "where's my drive shaft?". The front drive shaft is missing. I've read several threads that discuss missing shafts but no reason as to why they were removed.

Anybody know where / why they went?:?:

wdbtchr

Bad U joint? or bent shaft? If it's going to be surplussed off why fix it? Maybe the forklift drivers got to it first so they took yours?

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
The TM says there are two types:
FIRST DESIGN 1
APPLIES TO VEHICLES BEFORE VIN​
ENDING WITH 354457
Part #7845102

SECOND DESIGN 1
WITH 205 TRANSFER CASE APPLIES TO
VEHICLES AFTER VIN ENDING WITH​
Part #26013913

And finally
SECOND DESIGN 1
WITH 208 TRANSFER CASE APPLIES TO
VEHICLES AFTER VIN ENDING WITH​
Part #7845102

My VIN falls under VIN 354457 and should take Part number 7845102. There aren't any. There are several Part number 26013913 drive shafts.

That brings me to my questions, other than one has a zerk fitting and the othere doesn't, are they interchangeable?

Barrman

Yes, the two designs will both work. The design change was with the slip yoke. Mine was removed when I got the truck as well. Turns out the pinion yoke had a broken off tap in it. Which means somebody broke a bolt off, drilled it out and then broke the tap off before giving up. Who knows why yours is off.

Try turning the front yoke with the hubs un locked. Lock in one side and see if the other side spins. Then do the same for the other side. Then lock them both and make sure it still doesn't spin. Do the same with the tcase. See if the output yoke will spin in 2wd and not spin in 4wd. Just trying to isolate that all you have is a missing drive shaft. If you turn up something else broken, an axle swap might be more cost effective. Swapping to something other than a stock axle will mean a different drive shaft. I hate to see you spend time and money getting something you end up not needing.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Man do I feel dumb! It helps to look at the correct figure in the TM. There is a M1009 specific drive shaft that is extremely plentiful. Figure 72 and 73, item 1 in both of the -20P fit and are interchangeable. Ain't cheep, 300+ for a rebuild. Thanks for the advice, I'll look at it this weekend.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Normally they are removed if they are being towed for over 35 miles or over 35 mph. Drive shaft could have been thrown into the tow vehicle and forgotten or was pulled out at the shop and forgotten there once it was determined the vehicle was headed for DRMO anyway. Folks shouldn't jump to conclusions when something like this is missing.

LanceRobson

Jeff, I have a good take out front shaft from a truck I parted out. Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll let you know what ot costs with the shipping.

I also have a good rear shaft that needs a u-joint replaced but is not bent etc.

Lance

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks