• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whining sound coming from trans - 1009

ssdvc

Ok, it's not me. It is getting cold here in Conn on some mornings. When I first start out in the morning, leaving the parking space, I can hear the trans "whining" a bit. It only lasts for a few hundred yards. It also seems like the trans wants to hold second gear for longer than normal when it is cold.

All of this only happens in the morning and has always cleared up within a 1/4 or so. Is there anything I should be concerned about? Fluid level seems fine.

ralbelt

Have you changed the trans oil and filter. I have to tickle the throttle when its cold to get the trans to drop into 1st for the first mile or so. No whine though.

ssdvc

Is the pump expensive or difficult to replace? I think I can do the filter and fluid myself.

ODdave

The pump is the heart of the trans. It is directly behind the converter but inside the trans. you must remove the trans to service it but at that point you might just as well rebiuld it. Start with a service (filter & fluid) see if that helps it.