• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why A Larger Air Filter On The 5-Ton

SasquatchSanta

When I installed the LDS engine in my deuce I was a little concerned that there might be a capacity problem with the standard deuce air breather. After all, the standard 5-ton (LDS) air breather is much larger than the deuce breather.

I recently installed a gauge vacuum gauge immediately below the steering column in place of the air breather warning device.

I'm finding the LDS, even with the fuel turned up only pulls 5 to 6 inches of water column. I'm told anything under 10 is good which leads me to wonder why the 5 tons were equipped with the larger air cleaners.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: Why A Larger Air Filter On The 5-Ton

I think it was also an upgrade bringing the filter to the fender getting it to stay cooler and thus making a bit more power. I like the fender mounted filter and plan on converting my duece to a dual filter unit when I get home. The air going in can not be too clean in my mind. We lost hundreds of generators in Desert Storm as filters on them filled up with the talcum powder dust and Soldiers would just take the filter off and start them back up thus ruining it in a day of running in the abrasive dust. I made the suggestion to AMC that each engine powered item go with ten times the normal filters when we went back in for the war on terror.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Armyman that the larger air filter was to provide clean air longer under bad conditions because of larger filter area. There is also less room on a deuce fender for the larger can.
We modified a five ton engine for one of our deuces, part of the modifications included head porting, turned up fuel, and RPM increased to 3200 max. We also were concerned about air flow through the deuce filter. We road tested the truck with the deuce filter element in the can and out of the can. We did not see any change in boost pressure either way with a clean filter element. We are running a whistler turbo on it.
Regards Marti

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Based on fuel consumption, running a deuce at approx 50 mph requires about 100 Hp. The 5-ton engine can develop close to 200 Hp, so it may not have been tested at full power, where more air is required. Just a thought...

A 5-ton air filter canister fits nicely on the fender , tried that one time for fit, but not actually plumbing it up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks