• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch behavior?

Kharville

While working on my master cylinder the winch handle must have gotten bumped out of neutral. So when I crank up and let out on the clutch the winch shaft spins......I hear it an find neutral on the PTO. Didn't think much of it until I saw the remains of the shear pin on the ground. Shouldn't the pto be able to spin as long as the winch is disengaged? Maybe I misunderstand the IN/OUT lever on the winch?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My winch shaft spins when it is cold out, simply due to the viscosity of the oil, but there is no power behind it. I can stop it with my hand. The IN/OUT lever on the winch refers to the winch clutch.
If the winch clutch is OUT, then power to the winch shaft should not turn the winch because the dog on the shaft is not engaged. Also, the drum lock would be engaged.

I could see your winch clutch not being fully disengaged. When the driveshaft starts turning the worm gear and the drum cannot turn because of the drum lock and the chain and hook around the bumper, the weakest part will break. Lucky for you it was the winch shear pin. If that had been replaced by a grade 8 bolt (as in mine; thanks Soldier A) who knows what would break. Worm gear...case...PTO....

Here is a good thread with all the info one needs to know: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?24534-M35A2-Winch-Operations

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks