• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won my first M35 Today

davidkroberts

I won two M-35's out of Wright Patterson and a CUCV out of Oklahoma. Ive never owned a deuce before and I'm really looking forward to getting to wrench on one finally. List member "Heavy" or Eric with Hotshot Transport is brokering the transportation from Dayton to the house in west tennessee and he gave me a reasonable rate.

The CUCV is going to end up being me and a buddy with tools some fluids and good intentions kind of recovery. Its going to be great I havent been out to Oklahoma in years.

I bought a CUCV key off ebay, and I will probably get a spare driveshaft as the forklift monster likes to eat them from what ive heard others say here. If anyone has any advice on picking up from Ft Sill im all ears.

:driver:

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They all look good, especially the Oh-9. I didn't see any forklift tattoos on the drivers side, you may get lucky. If not they are a dream to flat tow. Take a vehicle capable of towing it if you can and take a towbar along too. This is good insurance. Maintain a tire budget too, the old ones with the nice tread tend to explode on the highway. I see an adventure in the making.

davidkroberts

didnt think about flat towing. I was just going to get a uhaul car hauler in oklahoma if it was needed. these just take the regular light tow bar dont they? the same ones they use for humvees? Probably would be about the same as a one way rental of a car trailer and im going to need one anyway eventually. anyone got a line on where to get one?

jimm1009

"There is a Sucker born everyday". Now with that said, congradulations on your purchase. You are now officially terminally ill with the O.D. Green disease for which there is no cure. :twisted:

Let's see more pictures when you can.
Don't forget to read your TMs and if you need help acuiring them there are plenty of MVers here to assist.

:driver: jimm1009

PS: You will need a CUCV key if you don't have one. There are guys that can help you with that too if needed.

Last edited:

LanceRobson

Dave, the light towbar would work as would the medium one. The CUCVs use the larger adapters. A tow dolly would also work. If you tow it make sure the transfer case is in neutral and consider disconnecting the drive shaft at the rear differential and wiring it up out of the way.

Take a couple of charged batteries for the M1009. A CUCV will not start unless there is at least a little charge on the batteries. If one of them, particularly the front one is dead and won't take a charge, it won't start.

If it were me I'd take a complete set of belts and a fuel filter. Give it a real stiff dose of Lucas fuel treatment for the first tank or two. It has a 27 gallon tank and with good injectors and a clean air filter it should get something like 20-22 MPG on the highway.

This time of year I'd also take a can of wasp and hornet spray.

Good luck and enjoy the experience.

Lance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks