• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1009 Transmission Issue

ssdvc

OK, for just the third time since I have owned her, I drove my 1009 over 350 miles, one way, at one time. Each and every time I have done this I have accumulate a fine coating of what appears to be transmission fluid on the rear of the truck. I have carefully monitored fluid levels and they have not budged one bit. Each time I complete the long trip, I also have a small amount of leakage on the ground, but it stops the same day. During short trips of less than an hour I do not get the coating on the rear of the truck. Also, I don't have any fluid leaks EXCEPT for immediately after I take those long trips.

Mileage is good. I get anywhere from 19 to 22 mpg. Truck is stock, with 31" tires.

Any thoughts as to what this could be? I checked all the bolts on the pan and they were good and I could not tell where the leak originated from.

Thank you.

ODw/envy

My deuce did that. I think it was an accumulation of all of the different fluids. Non seemed appreciably low after a given trip but all had to be topped off once in a while.

My guess, 30 +/- year old seals doing odd things.

MatthewH

Its the rear output shaft seal. It may still be a good seal, just a little bit of fluid pushes past it when everything warms up.
When I had my M1009, it did this on long trips, especially when towing.
Check your t-case vent to make sure its open. Even if it is, it may still leak. Common problem with them, no biggie.

ssdvc

Thanks Matt, I'll check that out. I am trying to make sure this baby lasts. Still have several things to do, but the mechanicals come first. Rebuilding this trans if I miss something won't cut it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks