• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1083A1 doesn’t run longer than 45-60 seconds

AKAustria

Happy Labor Day weekend!

I have an issue that seems so simple, but I can not figure it out.
My 1083A1 truck has been sitting for some time, but it always ran and I drive it on the road, registered it, loved it.
Last spring, it didn’t want to start anymore or died right away.
I traced it to a leaking fuel water separator, replaced filter and gaskets… it does start now after cranking for about 10 sec and stays running. But only for about a minute at the most.
It doesn’t really take throttle happily and no matter what I do, it stalls after 45-60 seconds.
any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
My thoughts are… it can’t be too complicated since it was a good running truck before, but I am still completely new to these amazing machines.
Thanks everybody!!

aw113sgte

Happy Labor Day weekend!

I have an issue that seems so simple, but I can not figure it out.
My 1083A1 truck has been sitting for some time, but it always ran and I drive it on the road, registered it, loved it.
Last spring, it didn’t want to start anymore or died right away.
I traced it to a leaking fuel water separator, replaced filter and gaskets… it does start now after cranking for about 10 sec and stays running. But only for about a minute at the most.
It doesn’t really take throttle happily and no matter what I do, it stalls after 45-60 seconds.
any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
My thoughts are… it can’t be too complicated since it was a good running truck before, but I am still completely new to these amazing machines.
Thanks everybody!!
I would check for a clogged tank vent.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also the fuel lines on these are known to rot out and leak. My 2008 already had a leaking hose and the others were BAD with dry rotting and cracks. The outer rubber just falls off in chunks. Run your hand over them and if it comes off looking like black coal dust the lines are shot. Sometimes the leak will not necessarily be super obvious on the lift side of the system since it is sucking and there's no pressure present - it will suck air like there's a hole in your drinking straw.

When you first start the engine it's on cold enrichment (black smoke if it's cold enough out, or when you accelerate the engine, etc) - as the engine leans out to normal operating fueling it sounds like it's not getting enough and dying out.

Ronmar

There is a test port on the fuel line between the lift pump and the fuel filter mounted to the side of the engine. Connect a snubbed/dampened 0-100PSI gauge there to measure baseline fuel pressure. Should have 20-25 at idle ramping up to 60PSI by peak torque RPM. any dips in that pressure are probably air pockets being admitted somewhere between tank and lift pump…

Leaks look like this on a gauge…

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a test port on the fuel line between the lift pump and the fuel filter mounted to the side of the engine. Connect a snubbed/dampened 0-100PSI gauge there to measure baseline fuel pressure. Should have 20-25 at idle ramping up to 60PSI by peak torque RPM. any dips in that pressure are probably air pockets being admitted somewhere between tank and lift pump…

Leaks look like this on a gauge…

How's that cruise control lever work. I don't have that.😂

Ronmar

Can the air vent for the tank be easily identified?
I would agree that this is the most logical explanation.
first thing I do when getting home is to open the tank cap and see what happens!!!
Three hoses off the top of the tank, supply, return, both are JIC6 fittings. The vent port is farther forward, smaller and on a hose barb fitting…

Lostchain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can the air vent for the tank be easily identified?
I would agree that this is the most logical explanation.
first thing I do when getting home is to open the tank cap and see what happens!!!

AKAustria

So I ended up removing the fuel cap, cranked… no start. Batteries are very weak ( I have currently only 2 hooked up), so I will again tomorrow.
I did lift the cab and prime the fuel/water separator for good measures. I thought it can’t hurt.
Either way, no start unfortunately