• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12V GP Relay Conversion...quick question...

Asmoday

I was reading as many of the posts I could find on the 12V GP relay conversion but I didn't find the answer so a quick question...

Do you have to replace the glow plugs at the same time with AC60G's or the like when you get rid of the resistor and do the 12V relay mod or can you do the mod...relay, wiring, resistor removal etc. and then replace the glow plugs themselves at a later time?

Thanks...!

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was reading as many of the posts I could find on the 12V GP relay conversion but I didn't find the answer so a quick question...

Do you have to replace the glow plugs at the same time with AC60G's or the like when you get rid of the resistor and do the 12V relay mod or can you do the mod...relay, wiring, resistor removal etc. and then replace the glow plugs themselves at a later time?

Thanks...!
The resistor drops the voltage from 24 to 12 volts and the glo-plugs receives that 12 volt voltage.

Your glo-plugs are 12 volts, so no need to change them because of the relay conversion; however, a good idea to change them because after one burns out, others "tend" to follow suit rapidly and also by changing them, swollen tip removal problems are minimized. Put a bit of anti-seize paste on the glo-plug threads and don't over-tighten them...

Barrman

The 4 CUCV trucks or engines I have gotten from the military all had Welman plugs in there. About 2 per engine have been swollen and very tough to remove. Many times people suggest putting in the 60G plugs because they are a better product that does not swell.

That along with the above post about how you already have 12 volt glow plugs in there should take care of your questions.

85CUCVtom

The AC Delco 60G's are nice plugs. They are self limiting and shouldn't burn up or swell as bad as other plugs. I have had great luck with them so far but time will tell I guess. Just my 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks