• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12V ?? how can i get

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one of these units from Raul installed in my deuce. Did a quickie install bolting it under the map compartment. Works wonderfully. I run my laptop, inverter and phone charger from it no sweat. There are some BIGGER units out there but my needs were minimal and this unit is pretty compact.

chgofiveo

I just hooked a power wire and ground wire to one of the batteries (DO NOT hook the power wire to one battery and the ground wire to the other battery) and ran that inside my truck...that gives me 12 volts just fine. Just make sure what ever you are hooking it to is insulated from the body when you mount it (If it needs a body ground and doesnt have a ground wire). If the item uses a body ground you will have a problem. If it does use a body ground, insulate it (Rubber, plastic) and use your ground wire from the battery for your ground source. I did this and it didnt cost me a thing. I have two cig. lighter power sources and a 12 volt car stereo hooked up (Had to insulate the radio and antenna from the body to get it to work) :grd:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Good point Kenny, If you wanted something bigger, Don (headwizard) has 30amp units that are great, and I think Oilcan has a 200 or 300 amp one.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just hooked a power wire and ground wire to one of the batteries (DO NOT hook the power wire to one battery and the ground wire to the other battery) and ran that inside my truck...that gives me 12 volts just fine. Just make sure what ever you are hooking it to is insulated from the body when you mount it (If it needs a body ground and doesnt have a ground wire). If the item uses a body ground you will have a problem. If it does use a body ground, insulate it (Rubber, plastic) and use your ground wire from the battery for your ground source. I did this and it didnt cost me a thing. I have two cig. lighter power sources and a 12 volt car stereo hooked up (Had to insulate the radio and antenna from the body to get it to work) :grd:
That's odd. I've got a converter in my M715 and haven't had a problem gounding directly to the frame. I'm even running a civilain 12v distributor through it that grounds through the body without problems.

Unforgiven

You have 2 options.

1. Buy a 24/12 battery balancer. Good ones are a few hundred dollars new, cheaper used on ebay. They make sure each battery charges equally when you tap off the center. You'll be tapping the 12v + terminal of the first battery.

2. Install an auxilliary 12 volt alternator & run it to a dedicated 12 volt battery. I plan to do this very soon as I have two brand new 1-wire alternators that I never used. I'm going to put the 12v battery in the tool box on the driver's side.

2.5 Install two auxilliary 12 volt alternators, isolating one from ground via nylon bushings. One charges the 0-12 battery, the other the 12-24 battery in the series. tap off either battery, but be careful where ground is. Technically, since I have two brand new 12 volt alternators I could do this as well & run a second set of 24V batteries. But that adds bulk to the engine bay which will have power steering & Hydromax pumps soon ;-)

Whatever you do, do NOT simply tap into the middle of your two batteries, unless it is for very small amperage purposes. You might get away with a cell charger.

jdmcgowen

Well there's one other way....... you take and peel back the insulation on one of your 24v leads, and carefully count the wires. Then you trim back half of them, and there you have it 12v. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA:roll:

badgmc56

You do not have to worry about grounding to the body. If you run a power wire from the first battery positive cable , [ looking at the battery from the pass side , it's the battery on the left] you can ground any where to the body. The pos cable on that battery is 12 volts and the pos cable on the second battery is 24 volts. You can check this with a volt meter to verify. I have multiple 12 volt items connected to one battery and grounded to the body with no problems. Charges 14 volts on first battery and 28 on second battery. I see no use for a converter.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have multiple 12 volt items connected to one battery and grounded to the body with no problems. Charges 14 volts on first battery and 28 on second battery. I see no use for a converter.
The need for a converter depends on the drivers usage. With a constant drain from a direct 12v tap, there will be problems balancing the charge rates of the batteries.

For occasional small amperage 12v use while the truck is running and the 24v charging system is working, then I agree with you, a converter is not absolutely necessary.

Rick

Snarky

I found that the 900watt 24v power inverter everyone uses is actually cheaper than most of the 24 to 12v converters I found, I just installed that and ran stuff like usb chargers off a 115v transformer.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well there's one other way....... you take and peel back the insulation on one of your 24v leads, and carefully count the wires. Then you trim back half of them, and there you have it 12v. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA:roll:
rofl
Love it, needed that one this morning! Thanks!!

On better thought, guys do not do this, its still 24v...

badgmc56

rchalmers3, I have had no charge rate balance issues with the batterys and they have been in the truck over a year and were the ones that came with the truck when I bought it. I use my 12 volt accessories often and had no battery issues. I load test them often to see if the 12 volt tap affects them. So I'll have to disagree with the balance statment.

chgofiveo

You do not have to worry about grounding to the body. If you run a power wire from the first battery positive cable , [ looking at the battery from the pass side , it's the battery on the left] you can ground any where to the body. The pos cable on that battery is 12 volts and the pos cable on the second battery is 24 volts. You can check this with a volt meter to verify. I have multiple 12 volt items connected to one battery and grounded to the body with no problems. Charges 14 volts on first battery and 28 on second battery. I see no use for a converter.
That's odd. I've got a converter in my M715 and haven't had a problem gounding directly to the frame. I'm even running a civilain 12v distributor through it that grounds through the body without problems.
Well, I had a problem with mine untill I isolated the unit...as soon as I removed the ground from the body and used the battery as a ground, My radio worked fine...cant explain it, but thats what happened. Your welcome to come fix it for me if you like

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I had a problem with mine untill I isolated the unit...as soon as I removed the ground from the body and used the battery as a ground, My radio worked fine...cant explain it, but thats what happened. Your welcome to come fix it for me if you like
I don't know what the difference is other than maybe some converters work different than others. I wasn't saying you were wrong. I was just commenting that it was odd compared to the way mine works :wink:.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks