• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

14 bolt readend question

seabee mike

I found a 14 bolt FF 8 lug rear end. The guy wants 100$ he said it is in good condition and has a 3:78?? something like that. Does this sound like a good deal?

I don't need it but the price sounds good.

Is there a lot of things to modify to put this in? I understand the gearing will need to change, some sort of u joint change on the drive shaft, rims, ?? does the rear and have a locker in it? i also understand it is big and heavy with less ground clearance.

Thats not a bad deal if the ring and pinion is in good shape. I would open it up and look at it though. If this is out of a farm truck or something, ring and pinion could be worn. You can check the ring and pinion with contact grease. It's probably 3.73 gears. The M1008 has 4.56 and the M1009 has 3.08 so a gear ghange would have to be done. I put a light duty non FF corp 14 in a 1/2 ton 83 gmc same ujoints. Ebrake cables are different too. Will need 8 hole rims as well.

jimmy-90

$100 is a good price for a 14 bolt ff rear. It likely doesn't have a locker in it. The big question would be is it out of a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton? If it's out of a 3/4 ton pick up or suburban then the spring perches will match your M1009 and you can bolt it right in without having to cut the old spring perches off and weld new ones on. You will have to order parts to hook your drive shaft to it or have a new one made though. If you ever wanted to put a dana 60 front in your truck as well I'd say go for it if it's out of a 3/4 ton truck. 3.73 gears will make your M1009 pull out into traffic a little bit better also and still have a decent top speed.

2deuce

Nothing came stock, original with the locker, the CUCV's had it, but not the M1009. Alot of vehicles came with a posi as an option, possibly the Detroit locker too, but it was always an option. The CUCV's were not aline of trucks, but a military order.

KsM715

Youll need to adress the difference in the number of lugs from the front to the rear. Or plan on carrying 2 spares.

2deuce

The M1009 has the gov lock, a far cry from a detroit locker. If you have both wheels off the ground and you turn one of them and the other wheel turns the same way you have a posi of some kind in there. If the other wheel turns the opposite way it is open.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks