• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

16r20 XML's on HEMMT rim measurement please.

cerial0411

I had a long explanation. But, the short version goes like this. I have some 5 ton axles that I want to narrow. I want 78" total width between the tire sidewalls. I don't have the rims and tires and don't have room to store them for the next year while building the axles. I will be using 16r20 XML tires mounted on HEMTT rims.

What I am requesting help on is a measurement of the overall width from the sidewall to the WMS on the inside and outside of the rim.

I found a few websites and the general understanding is that the XML is 17.2" in total width.
Thanks to this site I found the HEMTT rim is 8.88" from the wheel mounting surface to the rim lip. The rim lip measures 12.875". And I am guessing that the rim thickness is 1/2".

This all equates to this.
Tire.......IR..WMS..OR....Tire
2.1625+8.88+.5+3.495+2.1625=17.2 total width

What this means is that from the tire to the outermost of the tire will be 6.1575" for a total of 12.315". If this is correct I need to narrow the axles 65.685" between the wheel mounting surfaces. Yes, I know it is tight between the kingpins and this thing is rear engine with that in mind.

But, before I go nuts and start cutting up my air lockable 5 tons. I want to be 100% sure that I am correct in my rim measurements.

If anyone has a set of 16r20 XML's mounted on HEMTT rims that could take the time to break out a tape measure and confirm my internet based measurements that would mean a lot to me.

Thank you for looking.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's really easy: a typical 16.00R20 tire has an overall section width of 17.0" (+/-.1"). So if you center those 17 inches over the rim you will find 6.0", measured from the WMS to the outer tire sidewall, and 11.0", to the inner sidewall.

78" - (2x6") = 66" (which is more or less what you had calculated)

Take a look at the drawing....

G.

Attachments

Last edited: