• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1729 vs 6707

Csm Davis

Sorry up front about the nomenclature for I am a newbie about the radios I have 10 rt524's that I need to get up and going. From what I have read both antennas can be used but the 1729 is best. Is this true and if so would it hurt my radios to use the 3900? These will be used for the Mississippi State Guard for communication between units I have only one 1729 but have lots of 3900 antennas. I can trade equipment if I need to and it will help me get my equipment up and going.
Edited by big dummy

Last edited:

papakb

OK, Here goes. Nomenclature. Just the other day I was talking about confusing nomenclature and military radios. Here's a perfect example of the confusion it causes. Jeff above is asking about antennas and because of the way they are described he's confused and it's no wonder.

The complete AT-1729 antenna is comprised of three subassemblies. An MX-6707 matching unit along with 2 mast sections, the lower one being an AS-1720 and the upper being an AT-1095.

The complete AS-3900 antenna is comprised of the AS-3900 base along with a lower mast section A3018320 and an A3017901 upper. The AT-1095 from the AT-1729 will work but the threaded lower sections will not interchange. The AS-1720 is a 3/4" NTP thread and the A3018320 is 1" NTP. You can use threaded PVC pipe caps as protective covers when the mast sections are removed.

Either of these antennas is a perfectly acceptable electrical match for the VRC-12 radios (RT-246 or RT-524) but the AT-1729 is more correct if you are trying to represent a Viet Nam thru early Gulf War era vehicle installation. The SINCGARS radios were just being fielded in early '91.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

Last edited:

Csm Davis

Okay so yes I screwed up and it should be 1729 vs 3900 can a mod please change the title. So will the singars antennas work okay with the 524s or do I need to change them out? Will the 1729 work better? Also will a different antenna work even better, also what would be a good antenna to use with the 524 for a temporary CP setup? Thanks for the reply

Last edited:

papakb

CSM,

See the last line above....................

As for a CP if you look around there's a ground tripod that will hold either the MX-6707 or the AS-3900. There's a ground counterpoise antenna that will hold it in an elevated position. If you plan to leave it as a fixed antenna I'd recommend either the RC-292 or the OA-254 antennas.

Kurt

KG6KMJ

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks