• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1985 m1009 - need advice

SCOTTSSOILDER

I recently purchased an 85 m1009 with 17,000 miles on it. I did the doghead relay and it worked great. I pushed some wires back under the dash the other day and didn't notice that the all purple wire had come off of the solenoid. Its the wire that sends 24volts to the solenoid on the starter. It must have touched some metal under there and now i can't start my truck. I put the wire back and tried to start it with no luck. It won't turn over at all. I replaced the solenoid under the dash, batteries were bad so i replaced those, glow plug relay on firewall, and a 16 fuseible link that gets hot everytime i try to start it. I'm no mechanic but i'm trying my best. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the very bottom fuse and see if it is bad. It is 24v and controls the starter solenoid circuit.

SCOTTSSOILDER

I never had a fuse at the very bottom but checked voltage where it should be and it shows 25. I put a 10 amp fuse there but still doesn't start. I'm getting the same voltage at the red wire on the doghead and when I turn the key I get about 11. If I had 24 volts coming to the doghead and the purple wire was touching metal under the dash, when I turned the key would it have fried the red wire? Or could my problem be the solenoid on the starter or the starter itself?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks