• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1987 M35A2C fuel tank screen

FloridaAKM

This is an odd one here, the truck is a 1987 Air Force truck that when I got it, had the removable screen in the tank fill neck, totally gummed up with varnish. It would not allow any fuel to go thru it, so I soaked it in acetone & washed the varnish off with a water hose. Now it is all nice & clean with the screen totally intact. Fast forward to yesterday, I went to put diesel in the tank & when I checked the screen, it had totally dissolved except for the solder that holds it together & to the copper diptube. There is nothing but diesel fuel, a small amount of WMO & a diesel additive in the tank. The tank is always full, so I am at a loss as to what happened to the screen. Have any of you guys heard of or had thus happen to your tank strainer?

FloridaAKM

No, acetone wouldn't hurt it @ all. The screen was there a month ago, so I am wondering if I should have the fuel tested for something other than fuel in it? If it ate the screen, what will it do to the injector pump? Or am I overthinking the entire thing.....

FloridaAKM

Garrett, the screens are brass or bronze in material of construction, so rusting is out of the question; corrosion, not so much! I'll probably get more brass fine screen & replace it one day!

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just replaced a 55 gal. tank with M939-series 58 gal. tank. So, I have an extra filler neck of type you have. PM me if you are interested in it.

brianp454

The screen in my truck mysteriously vanished this Summer also. With everything else going on, I have not had time to sort it out. It may just be that fluid coming through and pull or tearing on the screen and it finally gives out. They are also likely old and suffering from corrosion. Another idea it that rust and other crud sloshing back and forth may be damaging it. I know my tank has some rust, yet have not drained it and dumped it to have an idea about how much.

FloridaAKM

Mine was I great shape till it vanished. Hearing that you also lost yours tells me that this is not a 1 off situation. I will just get some more brass screen from McMaster-Carr & replace it the next chance I get!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks