• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1st mep-803

coastalguy

Hello everyone, I've been pouring through allot of the info here for a month or so and finally decided to pull the trigger on my first gen set. My plan is to use it for home back up during power outages (I live in hurricane Katrina land). My new to me mep-803 should get delivered next week from GP. I'm currently offshore till September 11th so I won't get a chance to fool with it till then. I've already got all new oil, fuel and air filters ordered. I'll plan on doing a complete fluid change and run through all the wiring, cleaning and checking connections. I'm going to print out all the TM and have hard copies. I prefer that to looking at stuff on my phone.

The gen set i bought had a limited function test video showing the unit running but then in the description is said fuel shut off was bad and ignition switch was bad. Didn't make since to me cause I'm the video they crank the unit with the master switch.

Anyways I appreciate the wealth of knowledge this group has and look forward to picking yalls brains about this unit. I'm excited to get home and get to turning some wrenches on it.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello everyone, I've been pouring through allot of the info here for a month or so and finally decided to pull the trigger on my first gen set. My plan is to use it for home back up during power outages (I live in hurricane Katrina land). My new to me mep-803 should get delivered next week from GP. I'm currently offshore till September 11th so I won't get a chance to fool with it till then. I've already got all new oil, fuel and air filters ordered. I'll plan on doing a complete fluid change and run through all the wiring, cleaning and checking connections. I'm going to print out all the TM and have hard copies. I prefer that to looking at stuff on my phone.

The gen set i bought had a limited function test video showing the unit running but then in the description is said fuel shut off was bad and ignition switch was bad. Didn't make since to me cause I'm the video they crank the unit with the master switch.

Anyways I appreciate the wealth of knowledge this group has and look forward to picking yalls brains about this unit. I'm excited to get home and get to turning some wrenches on it.
Welcome to the Outfit! Yep, printed TM's will make it a lot easier to read whats in those books. Good luck on your quest for Remote Power...

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A bad fuel shutoff solenoid will prevent the unit from starting I believe, I am pretty sure those shut offs are powered to open on startup and when power is cut they drop closed, shutting down the machine. You say it was started using the "master switch". This is the switch on the dash? Or the battle start under the hood?

fb40dash5

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the switch on the dash? Or the battle start under the hood?
The switch inside will only crank it (or make it not crank), it they started it from a switch (and didn't have the solenoid bypassed like they tied the lever to run) then it was the switch on the panel.

I wouldn't put much of any stock in what they write in the details on GP. I judge by pics & videos, and if that doesn't answer my question I'll read... but I'm not assuming it's accurate, or written by someone who cares, or knows what they're doing.

coastalguy

A bad fuel shutoff solenoid will prevent the unit from starting I believe, I am pretty sure those shut offs are powered to open on startup and when power is cut they drop closed, shutting down the machine. You say it was started using the "master switch". This is the switch on the dash? Or the battle start under the hood?
They started it with the switch on the front. The only thing that stood out to me was they turned it to prime/run and then went to start. They didn't hold it there long and then switched it into prime/run/aux and then the unit cranked up and ran. The video was only 15 seconds. I'm not sure if it would only start in the auxiliary position and not the primary start position. Maybe that's why they said the switch was bad.

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They started it with the switch on the front. The only thing that stood out to me was they turned it to prime/run and then went to start. They didn't hold it there long and then switched it into prime/run/aux and then the unit cranked up and ran. The video was only 15 seconds. I'm not sure if it would only start in the auxiliary position and not the primary start position. Maybe that's why they said the switch was bad.
I would not stress to much about it until you lay hands on it. I have taught some of the folks at these GP lots more than they ever knew before I showed up. As far as TM's i use a used $90 chrome book i bought from Walmart.com down load all the tms that way i have a screen to look at and can scroll faster.

fb40dash5

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They didn't hold it there long and then switched it into prime/run/aux and then the unit cranked up and ran.
If they didn't hold it long enough to build oil pressure the first time, all that confirms is they don't know what they're doing, or they forgot. (I've done that enough times)

When you start it the 2nd time right away, the oil pressure is high enough thanks to residual pressure that you don't have to hold the switch in Start.

coastalguy

I think I didn't explain it well enough what they did. They turned the master switch clockwise to prime/run for only a second. I didn't even hear the fuel pump clicking. They more or less immediately turned it to start and again only held it for a couple seconds. Then they turned it counter clockwise to 12 o'clock prime/run/aux and the unit fired up.

Guyfang

Staff member
You wrote:

The start process will not work in Aux/Run position. If the set was in start mode, then you can move the S1 to the AUX position. Like FSK wrote above, do not worry about it till you get it in your hands. DO READ the operators manual. If you have not down loaded the TM's. they are here in the TM forum.

coastalguy

You wrote:

The start process will not work in Aux/Run position. If the set was in start mode, then you can move the S1 to the AUX position. Like FSK wrote above, do not worry about it till you get it in your hands. DO READ the operators manual. If you have not down loaded the TM's. they are here in the TM forum.
On a different note can I change my screen name? It's supposed to be coastalguy. I guess I fat fingered the keys and didn't catch that I misspelled it.