• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

20,000 pound winch

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do you need a 20,000lb winch for a car trailer? Seems like way overkill to me, even dragging totally siezed pickup wouldn't put up that much fight.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not meaning to detract from your very clear question - as someone who works with winches regularly, I suggest that for use on a trailer, any of the commercial solutions (which you can easily get up to the 17,500 or even 19,000 lbs rating) is a better choice than a mechanical truck winch off a 5ton, converted to electrical.
Consider that, for most use cases, you will pull the load onto the trailer from more or less right behind the trailer. That leaves you with enough winch cable to use a snatch block, double the line and double your pulling power, if you need to. You may therefore be able to use a lighter rated (and cheaper) winch on the trailer to do the job.

If really toying with the winch off a 5ton, it would perhaps be more straightforward to drive the mechanical winch with an hydraulic motor and use an electric setup to run that. I suspect that, by the time you have cobbled that together and priced out the components, a complete electric winch will likely look like a sensible deal!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks