• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

395's on a M35A3

BigWill1276

I've searched all over for photo's of a M35A3 with 395's on it. I know they come stock with 14.5R20's but I was thinking of upgrading to 395's for the heck of it. Can anyone point me to some photos of what it looks like and the positives and negatives about putting them on.
Thanks,
Big Will.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you plan on using stock rims, you will need to find tires that work with the rim design. The 14.50s were designed to work with that rim, 395s were not. In order to put 395s on your truck, you will need different rims cause all the 395s I have seen were not designed for the MPT rims. Do a search for mpt rims and there are pics of the different rim designs.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nope. I wish I took a pic yesterday. I was up at Roger's and we broke down a bunch of 395s from the 5ton rims they came on. Then we pulled a rim from an A3 to put the 395 on. After we got the rim/tire together we started running the nuts onto the studs that hold the 2 rim pieces together. Before we got it tight, we noticed the huge gap in the lip of the rim and the tire. The "standard" rim has like a 1.5" lip around the rim to hold the tire on. The mpt rims only have a .75" lip to hold the tire on the rim. Let me see if I can find some pics GT has posted.

BigWill1276

Thanks for the input. I talked with the guy from Berg Military Tires and asked him if I could run the 395's on the A3 rim. He said yes and is going to give me a great deal on 7 new tires. But if they won't work, I guess I'll stick to the 14.5's. Thought it might look pretty cool and drive a little better for my trip across the U.S. (Better top end speed with lower RPM's) Anyways I see what you were saying about the "Standard and MPT" rims. I was thinking about how it would work when airing them down and up. I believe that's why the MPT tires have a lower lip. Thanks for the input. But I still haven't seen any A3 Rims with 395's on them. I guess that's a clue that it's probably not a good idea.

Maverick1701

These are not A3 wheels, but here is what a A3 looks like with 395 MVT Goodyears on '100dollarman' wheels-----

And, 395 Mich XMLs on stock A2 wheels----
Im still debating on 395s on stock rims or A3 rims w/14.5r20.

I might run 395s on stock rims until I can save up the money for a3 rims....decisions decisions

flyxpl

Im still debating on 395s on stock rims or A3 rims w/14.5r20.

I might run 395s on stock rims until I can save up the money for a3 rims....decisions decisions
If you do not already have A3 rims I think you would be better off buying modifed hemitt rims for the 395's , rather than spending money on rims that the 395's may not fit correctly on .

Maverick1701

Chris are you saying 395's on A3 wheels?
no sir, that = bad idea
Im trying to decide on either

#1: 395s on stock rims

or

#2: 14.5420s on A3 rims

If you do not already have A3 rims I think you would be better off buying modifed hemitt rims for the 395's , rather than spending money on rims that the 395's may not fit correctly on .
i meant run 395s/stock rims until I save up for a3 rims then upgrade for 14.5r20s once I get the a3 rims (but I left that part out of my post...oops)

Im not going to run a3 rims and 395s....that is a bad idea

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks