• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

400amp Generator Pulleys

Hmmv4me

Hi Guys, I am hoping someone can clarify the differences in 400amp generator pulleys. I have 2 different setups. pic one is a functioning one way pulley that works well. Pic 2 is on my 1152 and it is locked both directions. The question is, is it supposed to be locked both directions? I have the correct belt on it but when it shifts and i turn off the motor, I am getting some belt squeal. If it is what it is, can the one way pulley be installed on the ste same shaft?

Thanks

Attachments

mechanicjim

for the second pulley yes it supposed to be locked its a solid piece of metal.
the belt squeal you get with the solid pulley is why they run the one way clutched pulleys.
basically the shaft of the Alt wants to keep moving but the belt drive forces it to slow down hence the squeak on engine deceleration and stopping.
if you have the correct clutched pulley it should work on the one with the solid pulley.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The clutch pulley was designed to take the stress off the generator shaft and all if its mounting components when The truck is Turned Off, also to allow the gen shaft to freewheel when the rpm’s spikes And the gen shaft times to catch up to the other spinning fixed components.
not uncommon to see that clutch pulley locked in both directions….but that better than unlocked in both direction, meaning…it’s broken,

The clutch pulley is designed to alleviate stress on the belt drive system and the components within that system, allow the alternator rotor to coast when the engine is shut down, and reduce belt slippage. The clutch pulley will allow a longer life of the tensioner and the bearing's in the alternator and water pump.

Hmmv4me

The clutch pulley was designed to take the stress off the generator shaft and all if its mounting components when The truck is Turned Off, also to allow the gen shaft to freewheel when the rpm’s spikes And the gen shaft times to catch up to the other spinning fixed components.
not uncommon to see that clutch pulley locked in both directions….but that better than unlocked in both direction, meaning…it’s broken,

The clutch pulley is designed to alleviate stress on the belt drive system and the components within that system, allow the alternator rotor to coast when the engine is shut down, and reduce belt slippage. The clutch pulley will allow a longer life of the tensioner and the bearing's in the alternator and water pump.
You wouldn't happen to have a list of parts(or the actual parts) needed to convert the pully to a clutch pully would you? I already have the belt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks