• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton at Auction - M923A2

Olympus

Looking at a 5 ton on one of the auction sites and it looks really good except that it's missing the battery cables. Description says it runs when jump started. How big of a job would it be to install new battery cables before I drive the truck home...provided I win the auction that is.

Last edited by a moderator:

dilligaf13

What model 5 ton M809, M939 ect.. There's nothing overly complex, as far as battery cables are concerned, on any of the 5 tons. If every single battery cable was missing, including ground and power to starter (it's unlikely that they've all been pilfered), it'd take 1-3 hours to replace. Usually it's just the cables in the battery box, that inter-connect the batteries, that go "missing". If it's just those cables, that need replacing, it takes 30-60 minutes and can be done with simple hand tools. Pic would help.....

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The main battery cables go from the battery box to the starter. If those were missing I don't see how the truck could have been jump started. Probably just the jumpers that go in between batts are missing. Easy to replace.

tobyS

Have you taken a voltage reading on the batteries?? Your retrieval may be better off focusing on only 2 and changing to more in the future. Are all of the wires gone? With 2 batteries the negative of one is connected to the frame then the positive is connected to the negative of the other battery and it's positive is connected to the starter. That is a series connection...12 + 12 = 24 vdc. I'd use 2/0 welding cable for any that have to be made and copper, not aluminum lugs. Use washers to keep bolts from cutting into the lugs and helps to spread the contact area (less heating).

If you have (2) good 12 volts (larger the better), fully charged, take them with you.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also does the location the truck is at allow driving them off the lot ? Some sites require them to be towed or trailered off of the lot.
Will they allow you to work on it ? Some site don't.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trucks have been known to be started by jumping them directly at the starter and the cables should be easy to replace. On this note, don't operate it without good batteries or else you'll burn out the regulator and then be dead in the road. Good luck!

sd39u

From the pictures of that truck, I'd say it's just missing battery cables. At least that's what it looks like to me. Presuming you are looking at :)

Olympus

From the pictures of that truck, I'd say it's just missing battery cables. At least that's what it looks like to me. Presuming you are looking at :)
Yeah, that's the one. Looks like someone already has a pretty high bid on that truck though. It's outside my budget now.