• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Travels Flooded West Virginia Roads

61sleepercab

I had my new to me 1983 M925 AM General Cargo truck home about two days on the farm and had wondered what uses laid in store for "SANDY". I had thought that high water and snow conditions would be in the future.

Wednesday my son had to travel to Spencer, West Virginia 15 miles for Energy Express mandatory training and could not travel because of rain storm dumping over 2" of rain in one hour. He called the employer who said that he would forfeit his college tuition benefit if he did not attend despite the weather.

The solution was Sandy who fired right up and we began trip to Spencer. REMEMBER DO NOT CROSS FLOOD WATERS WITH A REGULAR VEHICLE. I knew the road from 25 years of travel and used road signs , guard rail and mail boxes to judge the flood waters depth as the roads were flooded out in about 5 places.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Way to git-r-done! Don't forget to do your water fording PMs. Probably take much longer than the trip took.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Hmmm, appreciate you doing this but I think the Energy Express Safety Manager needs to hear about this. You don't do this to employees and I think I would have told the guy to put that in a response to an email so I can have his job. If it wasn't an emergent situation, stay off the road.

61sleepercab

Sorry no pictures on our part during the trip.

The forum ate one paragraph off my post. I have traveled the road for 25 years and know the wet spots and how deep they are by the guard rails , mailboxes, and ditches. I never got into any water that was deeper than I expected from observation. I knew what the truck would do and how deep the water was

I was the emergency service at the time as our National Guard Unit was relocated to the next county now 1 hour away from my road. There was no other 6x6 vehicle in the county. I picked up two drivers at the entrance of our High School Road who were trapped by water and would have to have walked miles along the hills to get out. One lady wanted to go into town to try to save her house contents where later her basement wall gave way and destroyed her house.

61sleepercab

more info on trip

Sorry no pictures on our part during the trip.

The forum ate one paragraph off my post. I have traveled the road for 25 years and know the wet spots and how deep they are by the guard rails , mailboxes, and ditches. I never got into any water that was deeper than I expected from observation. I knew what the truck would do and how deep the water was

I was the emergency service at the time as our National Guard Unit was relocated to the next county now 1 hour away from my road. There was no other 6x6 vehicle in the county. I picked up two drivers at the entrance of our High School Road who were trapped by water and would have to have walked miles along the hills to get out. One lady wanted to go into town to try to save her house contents where later her basement wall gave way and destroyed her house. I advised the Sheriff office that I was in town and could help out. I waited several hours and then returned home and gave a report to the local radio station as to where the water covered the road.

I was glad to have Sandy the M925 to help others out. 61sleepercab

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi sleepercab61, glad your recovery from Indy went well and you have already been able to use the truck. So is one of these going to do it for you?

61sleepercab

"Be quiet, be very,very quiet !!!!" Elmer Fud would say as Wife is in the room so very dangerous to talk now. Have M38a2 needing stenciled,four B Model Macks in various states, IHC R162 and KB 5 trucks,two IH ScoutII , one ready for paint, 50's Ford F-1 and F-3 rat rod truck "kits" with old VW Beatles here and there.

Like Lays Potato Chips , No one can eat just one? I am eyeing bobbed tractors 61sleepercab

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Similar situation here sleepercab, also have a couple of IHs sitting around ('50 1/2 ton, '56 1 ton), and many projects in various states. But the wife has conceded maybe a couple more 5-tons would make sense...this is an improvement, since when she saw all the trucks at bobr2004's place she said "don't even think..." I think she got scared with a little vision of what the future could be like.

Diecorpse

Thats cool you used your mv to git-r-done! Lol. I like the video on youtube where the guy who had the mv's from gl used one to get a man down the road from him in a winter storm after the man had a heart attack. The ambulance couldn't make it, but the Deuce sure did. They may be toys and such, but sometimes they can be priceless!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks