• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

500 Mile Road Trip - What to Bring?

tgtaylor64

I am taking my M1009 from SC to GA and back this weekend. So far, I have put about 350 miles on the truck since I picked it up from Ft. Bragg last month. The tires are good, hoses and belts replaced; seems to be running strong. Besides the usual fluids and tools, what would you bring to ensure minimal downtime and a safe return?

91W350

I usually carry a green canvas tool bag with a set of line wrenches, combination wrenches, a 3/8ths drive socket set, pliers and a couple of screwdrivers. I also like to carry a fuel filter, just in case. It does not have much to go wrong, they are really basic and that is great with me. A spare with air is nice... Glen

Barrman

Top off the tank, check all your fluids, have a spare tire and all that is needed to put it on, simple hand tools (Don't forget most of the truck is metric or Torx), a cell phone and the number of at least one member here on the site. Then, just make sure you top off the tank after 200 or so miles to check mileage.

DokWatson

No matter where I go, I always have extra fluids of every kind and a basic set of tools.

Oh, and roadside assistance [thumbzup]

Doesn't matter what you bring if a fuel pump goes out. Been there.

tgtaylor64

Trip Report

First of all, thanks for the suggestions for the haul. I am pleased to say that I racked up a grand total of 732 miles! Probably 60/40 interstate/secondary roads. Judging from some other thread topics I have the following stats:

Overall MPG = 19.32
Best = 20.00
Worst = 18.56

Max speed = 78 mph

Absolutely no problems whatsoever!! Just a smooth and quieter ride than I thought. For the first 150 miles on I-95 I kept it around 68 mph and got passed a lot. On the way back, put 200 miles driving I-20 at around 75 mph.

Speedometer off about 5 mph vs. GPS. Showed faster than actual.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks