• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 turning over, but not starting.

BobM

If you do try to energize the glow plugs out of the engine, realize that they can be easily burnt out. One truck I bought had a new set of shiny glow plugs installed by the PO. I tested the circuit, knowing that the glowplugs had just been installed. After trying everything else, I came back to the GPs and tested each seperately. They had burned out 7 of the 8 new plugs by testing them before installation!
To test each plug individually while still in the engine, just hook a simple test light to your positive battery cable. Remove the GP wire from the GP and then touch the terminal of the GP. If the light comes on, it is good. If it fails, it is bad. The working GP is actually just a dead short electrically speaking. When they burn out, they are an open circuit.

Braunchitis

1956_4x4

Braunchitis said:
Use Wellman 070's. These are the stock plugs that the military uses. If you go to Autozone or some such place, they will give you AC60's (I think?). These will not fit the stock CUCV glow plug connector, the tips are too wide.

When I needed them, I ordered them through INDUSA ($60 + shipping)

http://www.indusadist.com/web_site_new_2008_005.htm

Or, you could maybe use one of the other distributors listed on WAP's (Wellman's) page at:

http://www.wellmanautomotive.com/distributors.php
I'd like to remind everyone, this is not a CUCV. There is no big resistor on the firewall and the glow plugs may be different. I'd bet that the AC60 plugs will fit fine. It would be best to pull a plug and cross the number.

On a side note, I converted my 1031 to 12v and use the AC60 plugs. I had to file down the terminals to fit, but they work great...

Smitty

mangus580

Lonesome715 said:
Here are some photograhs of what I am working with.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=26135

I still have no idea which forum it belongs in.

Being since it has a CUCV cab, wouldn't it still have the same military version of the 6.2? I am only guessing here. Can you give me some details on converting your to 12V and how you got the ne glow plugs to work?
How about some under the hood pics?

1956_4x4

Lonesome715 said:
Here are some photograhs of what I am working with.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=26135

I still have no idea which forum it belongs in.

Being since it has a CUCV cab, wouldn't it still have the same military version of the 6.2? I am only guessing here. Can you give me some details on converting your to 12V and how you got the ne glow plugs to work?
I'm not really sure where to post it. It's not really a CUCV cab, just a Chevy cab of the same time frame. It's been a long time since I messed with one of these, but I thought they were already 12 volt systems. I remember that we kept glow plugs in stock for both the CUCV and the Eagle bobtails and they were different plugs.

We had a lot of problems with the frames bending/cracking on these trucks. They don't really have any suspension on them. They would always be leaning to one side or the other when they came into the shop. The engineers came up with some adjustable links to make them ride straight. We ended up readjusting them every time the trucks came into the shop. The links didn't solve the problem of bending/cracking frames, but made the truck ride level for a while.

Smitty

Lonesome715

My wife told me it looked like and air line. However, now that I look at it closer I do nto think it is. I do not think those are brake line so what could they be?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did anyone else notice that this truck started life as a 2wd? I can see the pockets for the front coil springs in the frame shots.

AJMBLAZER

They all did. The government bought 2wd Dually C30's with no bed and sent them to the conversion company. Conversion company did all the rest.

The glove box codes on these trucks are very interesting when you decode them.

1956_4x4

Lonesome715 said:
Does that look like a military 6.2 version?
The decal on the air cleaner will tell you if it's a "J" code engine. It isn't a 24 volt electrical system. The accessories are set up differently than the CUCV engines.

Smitty

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks