• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5 12volt questions

Brogman

6.5NA hummer engine in M1009

I just bought a NA 6.5 Hummer engine, I haven't received it yet. I have some questions too.
My M1009 is 12v with a passenger side Alt. I know the water pump has to be changed if the 6.5 has a serpentine belt so I can use my V belt set up.
I read the temp/oil/ sensors are 24 volt as well as the IP electrics so need 12v stuff? Where can I get these? Glow plugs?
Will my new 12v starter and flex plate work from my 6.2 on the 6.5?
I read that the 6.2NA intake manifold has better air flow than the 6.5NA so will the 6.2NA intake work on the 6.5?
Will the 6.2 vacuum pump and vacuum valve on the IP for the transmission shift fit the 6.5?
Will the Hummer exhaust manifold fit in my M1009? I plan to have a new exhaust installed to the new manifolds if they fit.
I am sure I will have a few more questions. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have your stock 09 engine still? If so it will be a simple process of moving parts from the 6.2 to the 6.5.

Brogman

Yes I do. It has 48800 miles runs good. I was interested in a newer low mileage engine with a known history. Since hummers are being dumped by the Gov. I found one with no turbo, never deployed out of the country with 895 miles on it. Plan to sell the old 6.2. I hope the hummer exhaust manifold will fit in the M1009. I plan to use what ever parts the 6.2 has to make the install. Thanks.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HMMWV engine with known history? Unless the truck was assigned to you, there is no telling what he!! it's been through. Check for mud in the intake manifold.

Brogman

Thanks NDT, The M1009 I bought was Painted up but had virtually nothing serviced since it left the military. My fault as I bought it from Ebay. I called and asked the sellers about the truck. They made me think it was maintained and mechanically in as good a shape as it looked. These guys are the Jones from Petty Gene Mountain in AR. Father and son. My sister lives near so her husband trailered it up to me here in Indiana. I have had to rebuild most of the truck. I knew I would rebuild a lot but there were so many things wrong that I had not planned on. The Jones had to know what shape the truck really was in but mislead me about it's condition. My truck was not straight from the military and I found out was run hard by some kid who broke one of the front axles. The kid didn't have it long so that is good. I don't know who else owned it before I got it. My reference to history was more to do with the military and its maintenance history.

The 6.2 looks its age but runs well including the cold start advance. Parts for the 6.2 are harder to get and if it did need a rebuild I would do the 6.5NA instead of the 6.2. It seems rebuilt 6.2's are harder to find and are more expensive. My thinking is the 6.5 will have more future support than the 6.2. This is a bug out truck for me. The engine I bought came from a ready reserve Hummer and was run/checked before it was removed. Sure it might blow up as soon as I start it but that could happen no matter what I do. The engine looks new. 895 miles total in its life. $1800.00. Hope to get it delivered today. Again thanks.

Last edited:

Brogman

The nice header exhaust manifolds on the 6.5 won't fit the M1009 they extend out and down to far to clear the frame at the front of the manifold. I am sure the 6.2 intake will fit but found the simpler CV valve set up and the tube that fits on top will allow a cone filter between the batteries. So will use the 6.5 intake. Looks like the Throttle cable braket on the IP will need to be swapped along with the solenoids and cover.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks