• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5/4l80e swap

detroitmuscle1986

So, I have a complete running 98 gmc 3500 with a 6.5/4l80e combo. I want to swap that combo into my 1028A1. From what I have read I believe if I machine the adaptor between the tranny and TC I can make the 4l80 fit the np205. Where I get lost is with the electronics part of the swap. I will keep the stock electronics on the 6.5 and use what I can off of the donor truck. I wont even need to separate the engine and transmission. Will I need to make a custom VSS to work on the 205 or is there an aftermarket conversion? Can I use the electronic throttle position sensor from the donor truck or will I need to use this http://www.tciauto.com/tc/4l60e-4l80e-remote-tps-w-mounthtml/? What other electronics will I need to use or buy when I make the swap? My overall goal is to get a little more power from the 6.5td and get the overdrive. If it comes down to it I can always just put the 6.5 turbo on the 6.2. Any info will be of great help!

detroitmuscle1986

It's more or less the same setup in the truck now except with a turbo and an overdrive, so why not? I thought I could do the swap to gain the overdrive transmission and by keeping them together possibly make it work without having to buy a $700 tci unit.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 1998 engine uses a electronic injection pump (along with all the various parts). The throttle pedal is electronic, not a cable. Are you planing on keeping it that way or switching to a mechanical pump? If so plan on the additional cost.

Only the 1991-1993 6.5TD used the mechanical pumps. You can convert the later engines to mechanical but add $$$ to the cost.

The transmission is the other $$$ area.

Also are you switching to the from the two alternator belts setup to the serpentine belt? The water pumps are different. Another cost to consider.

Last edited:

roveroverme

Banned
In the end you will never get more $$$ for it than what people pay for an old CUCV. I wouldn't bother. I've done things like that in the past and it's just not feasible , economically.
And even If I would do this thing I'd get a 91-93 6.5TD and bolt it to a 4x4 NV4500.
What is the deal with the truck the engine and tranny came out of?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a rust bucket 1992 K3500 with a 6.5L NA engine (wish it was a turbo) and 4L80E for $450. I pulled all the parts from the engine,transmission and wiring. Scraped the rest. I will be transplanting it to a diesel suburban. Deals can be found is you look long enough.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am doing this to a Jeep Cherokee using a 98 6.5/4L80E. I used the stock computer, wiring harness, throttle pedal, brake pedal/switch, steering column, and both fuse blocks. There is no throttle position sensor in the traditional sense, it is the throttle pedal (fly by wire).

Skinny

Depends on what the OP is looking for in a truck. Yeah, that is a super cheap and great way to get a turbo and overdrive. Good point on resale, you'll never get the money back out of it. I also despise the DB4 IP due to the electronics. I think it's a great idea if you accept the pros an cons.

I don't see why you can't put an NP205 to a 4L80E, it came from the factory like that for one year :)

detroitmuscle1986

The truck is a 98 K3500. A relative has it down in Nyack, New york and the amount of salt they use on the roads down there has just destroyed the frame and almost every other body pannel on the truck for that matter. So I got it for a good price. From what you guys are saying it would be too much of a hassle to make this all work. It would probably be more reasonable to maybe even throw the turbo on the 6.2 and buy the $600 TCI kit for the tranny its self and scrap the idea of trying the keep the 6.5 with the 4l80.

marks86

I don't see why you can't put an NP205 to a 4L80E, it came from the factory like that for one year :)[/QUOTE]

and I have one for sale:)

V8Astro

I got a similar setup...wrecked 1996 C2500. I got all the stuff to make the 6.5T/4L80E work. After reading about how problematic the DS4 injection pump is it turned me off. I really REALLY wanted the 4L80E trans. I installed that first. I bought the Quick1 from US Shift. I used many different kinds of stock, modified and stand-alone fuel injection systems in the past. For the money the Quick1 controller is the best money I ever spent. I think it cost $525 with the harness (figure another $100 for the TPS). I loaded the program it came with and never messed with it again.

My point is I spent years and years modifying stock GM EFI/trans control systems. In the end it was never worth the time and aggravation. If you want the 4L80E this is the way to go. http://www.usshift.com/

I'm not sure about the NP205 adapter, but I had to have my NP208 adapter machined to fit the 4L80E. It's off by just a lil bit which I'm sure is a casualty of switching from the TH400 standard dimensions to the 80's metric dimensions.

Attachments

Last edited:

WARWAG

I believe you will have a clearance issue with the rear mounted turbo and the firewall. I know its been done but the thread I read where it was done he guy said it would have been much easier and alot less time to install a Banks on the 6.2 rather than the 6.5 turbo on the 6.2. It took days to modify the firewall. I will look for the thread. If you decide to do it it will be a great help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks