• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5 Tick When Warm 1151A1 2007

SDgovvehicles

Hey all, I just picked up a couple of 1151A1's with the turbo 6.5 and have one that has a loud ticking noise that changes with rpm. It seems to come from the passenger rear of the motor. Oil pressure is around 17psi idle when warm and 45 when cruising warm. When it's cold it doesn't do it at all and progressively gets louder as it warms up. It also goes away if you run it wide open down the road for a couple miles. After about a minute of idling or even being revved but sitting, it comes right back. I have cracked all injector lines multiple times, checked flex plate for cracks, removed serpentine belt, and have changed oil/filter with fresh Rotella 15w-40. I also tried some sea foam in the oil, but the tick never seems to get any worse or better except like i said after a full throttle run for a couple miles or when the motor is cold. I have been around multiple 6.5's before and its definitely not the standard diesel clanking that these give off. Any idea what this could be? Thanks!

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the SS forums.
It sounds like a leaking lifter not able to stay pumped up, sometimes they will clear up on their own but if not you may need to replace it.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is a lifter it should be clear what side of the engine the noise is coming from you can verify buy listening to the valve cover on that side.
I use (CAREFULLY) a large screw driver with the handle end to my ear.
How many miles have you driven or time have you spent with the engine running? getting the engine to full temp seems to help, it also takes some time for that additive to work its way to the lifter.+
Lifters have a "tinny" sound.
Best of luck on this!!

SDgovvehicles

If I pull off the valve covers to check the lifters out, is there an easy way to tell which lifter is giving issues and can I just replace the one while the head is still in place?

SDgovvehicles

I've ran it for a couple of hours and never gets better or worse unless I'm actually running it under a load on the highway. It doesn't matter if I rev it to 2500 rpm for 10 minutes, it is there instantly. It's definitely coming from the passenger side.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe someone else can chime in, I have not tried it myself but read it is "doable" but a REAL PITA.
So I would give it as much time as possible before going that route.
If it is really loud you should be able to tell which lifter it is with the valve cover off. (edit it will have play in it with the valve closed)

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
See if it clears with higher viscosity oil.

OR, wash out engine with tranny fluid mix vs commercial oil cleaner and then replace with Rotella 15-40.

87cr250r

I'm here to watch. Bought an eBay engine with a tick that comes and goes. I pulled all lifters and cleaned and disassembled. Tick is the same. Engine runs perfectly but there is a cracked head that makes some bubbles. The tick is exactly 1/2 crank speed. Use your cellphone's slow mo video feature to verify this. I wonder if mine is a cam bearing? I've checked everywhere else.

Reactions: cwc
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks