• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

68 Unimog 404 Restomod

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And by the way I just have to shake my first at the sky. Keeps raining on my fresh paint. Can't get all the way around the doggone truck before it rains. This is the second time, and the weatherman said no rain. I threw some tools and probably made a neighbor blush.

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More paint. As always, 90 % of the work is in the prep. Took a few days to get rid of old flaking paint, fill, sand and tape. One coat done and another begun. IMG_20240815_143311253.jpg

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pioneer kit done. I made mounting brackets out of a steel bed frame. Primed and mounted. I bedded all the screws with butyl tape. After the primer has a few days to cure I'll paint the whole shooting match sand color.

I've parked the truck pending new tires. Plenty to do in the meantime. Next step compress

Pohl

It looks like a lot of water sat in that tank for a loooooong time. the filter you shared earlier, and the amount of calcification on it was an omen.
The rear tank is perhaps in the same condition.

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes this truck sat a long time. Not a crime I plan to repeat. The back tank is holding fuel for now but yeah you aren't kidding. The fuel pump and carb were a complete mess too. I think the cap on the fuel tank must have been left ajar -easy to do- and leaked. Also I think water got in through the carb somehow too.

Soon it will be all new, the tank is the last piece of the system. Amazing it runs so well.

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the tank done, reinstalled and gassed up. No leaks. And the compressor back in too. Seems to be working because the brake pedal is better with more stopping power. The air pressure gauge on the dash isn't showing any pressure but the needle jumps a little when I hit the brakes. So something is going on. IMG_20240823_134304791.jpgIMG_20240823_145643303.jpg

SuperMochombo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_20240823_225255674.jpg
Midnight tank check. No leaks.

The fuel tanks are possibly the easiest part of a Unimog 404 to work on. Everything easy to get to, and in plain sight. 14 mm for the nuts n bolts. 17 mm for the banjo.