• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

939a0 designation debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Csm Davis

Okay I have seen a few guy fussing over the use of the (A0) suffix and it may be my fault but in my defense it came off base at Camp Shelby and I will try and see if it is Official or not this week. I believe that I have seen it on a list of vehicles on RSMS. If not then please forgive me for twisting so many to my will.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovery 4x4 you also won't find a 931A2P1 listed in the TM that i know of but it is real.
Nothing comes up with a Google search. What is it?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A look at the front cover on the TMs(-10) shows the truck model numbers and corresponding NSN #s.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1 Army Nomenclature System

The Army designates most types of equipment in accordance with the Army Nomenclature System (formerly known as Ordnance Nomenclature System) as defined in MIL-STD-1464A. These type designators are generally known as "Ordnance Numbers" or "M"-numbers. A designation is usually assigned as soon as a new equipment item enters the Army inventory. The numerical type designators are not "globally" unique, but only within a certain category of equipment, like tanks, armoured vehicles, guns, etc. Therefore, the*full designation*for an item designated within this system must always include an item name.

Examples:GUIDED MISSILE, SURFACE-TO-AIR:XM3E1MAIN BATTLE TANK:M1A1CANNON, 20MM:XM301PROJECTILE, 155MM:M547A2E1(1)(3)(2)(4)

(1) is the name of the item, which is part of the complete nomenclature. According to MIL-STD-1464A, the name must be written in capital letters, and is to be followed by a colon. The name should be selected from DoD Cataloging Handbook H6 ("Federal Item Name Directory").

Number (2) is an arbitrary number. The numbers are assigned in numerical sequence within each equipment category.

Two different prefixes (3) are used:

XM - Item is in the development or pre-production phaseM - Item is classified as "standard"

(4) is an optional letter/number suffix used to denote modifications of the equipment. Two different letters are used:

A - Alteration (modification of service equipment)E - Experimental

Modifications of service equipment use the suffixes A1, A2, etc., while experimental modifications use suffixes E1, E2, etc. These suffixes can be combined, e.g. M547A2E1 would be the first experimental modification of the second modification (i.e. third version) of the M547 item. If the M547A2E1 would be accepted as a standard service item, the designation would change to M547A3.

Note:*According to MIL-STD-1464A, dashes or spaces must not be used in Army Nomenclature numerical designators. E.g., only M1A1 is correct nomenclature, while variants like M-1A1 or M1-A1 are incorrect.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread title is confusing and uses incorrect nomenclature, I think.

M939 is a series of trucks, not a specific model, therefore there is no suffix applicable(AO, A1, A2).

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about we post a reward for anyone with a truck data plate that has M9XXA0 (in the M939 series of trucks) on the dash. No, not a made up replacement either.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I added to the thread title to describe this threads purpose.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can we just say the 5 ton guys are different lol.
You have to have a marble or two loose to own 5 ton and up.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Different, sure.

But on this site(in the world's view), we should be as correct as possible for such simple things as truck model number/names.

tbar123

I actually have one of these trucks, That I consider an A0, Simply because I didn't know that there was a difference between an M923 and an M923A1. Until the owner of this thread described it to me ( greatly appreciative ) and a lot of things became much clearer. I will continue to use the A0 designation even if it is not official.The differences between the a fore mentioned are slight but there is enough difference to me at least to have a separate designation.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually have one of these trucks, That I consider an A0, Simply because I didn't know that there was a difference between an M923 and an M923A1. Until the owner of this thread described it to me ( greatly appreciative ) and a lot of things became much clearer. I will continue to use the A0 designation even if it is not official.The differences between the a fore mentioned are slight but there is enough difference to me at least to have a separate designation.
It's your truck and you can call it what you like. As far as the designation being not official, it's just not correct as per MIL-STD-1464A.

http://quicksearch.dla.mil/qsDocDetails.aspx?ident_number=36895

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A look at the front cover on the TMs(-10) shows the truck model numbers and corresponding NSN #s.
I second this fact. Knowing the correct model number of the vehicle and ensuring correct parts, that are effective for installation, on that vehicle is very important and depending on the vehicle, may be required by CFRs.

tbar123

So would it be better for me to call my truck EIC BRY? Scar59; What is a CFR? I'm still new to this and every bit of info I get, puts me one step closer to knocking the newb off! LOL Thanks for the info!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Analagy, I can call my dog a unicorn all day long. He may even think he's a unicorn but at the end of the day, he's still a dog.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tbar,
The amount of work you have put into that M923 of yours', the newb is long gone. CFR is the acronym for Code of Federal Regulations ("It's the law!"). Your job and work rules are governed by alot of them.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It's no hair off my back what someone calls their vehicle, but I do find it annoying.

First off: Have you ever heard someone refer to an M38 as an M38A0? Of course not. You have an M38 or you have an M38A1. That's it.

Same thing goes for the trucks-there are M44, M44A1 and M44A2 models. M39, M39A1 and M39A2. There are M939, M939A1 and M939A2's. There is no such thing as an "M35A0". They're just M35's.

Years ago, people in the Mopar hobby started referring to regular production 340 heads as "W0" heads. The first aftermarket Mopar Performance heads were W2's. These had relocated pushrods (which required their own dedicated valvetrain) to make more room for the ports, so the shape would be straighter and more material could be removed in porting. These heads were basically an improved version of the 340 Six Pack heads that came on Challenger T/A and 'Cuda AAR models. And those Six Pack heads were an improved version of the standard 340 heads. So it didn't take long for some doofus to work his way backwards and figure that if W2's were W2's, then Six Pack heads were "W1" and 340 heads were "W0".

And that's hogwash. Six Pack heads are .......................... wait for it............... Six Pack, or "AAR/TA" heads, or "Trans Am" heads. And 340 heads are either "X" or "J" heads. "X" heads have the 2.02"/1.60" valves and "J" heads are something like 1.84"/1.50". Chrysler at no point ever called them W0. Heck, calling them W0 doesn't even make sense because it doesn't differentiate between the '68-'71 large valve heads and the '72-'74 small valve heads. X heads sell for a premium over J heads so you can bet anyone selling or buying is paying attention to that, not some made up W number.

And the army truck hobby is no different.

And instead of training people to use the wrong nomenclature-nomenclature that doesn't exist in the real world (A0), we should be training people to assume that if you say you have an M923, that you have a vehicle with the 250 and duals. And if you say you have an M923A1, you have a 250 powered truck with singles and if you say you have an M923A2 you have a singled truck with the turbo 8.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.