• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A Few M1009 Questions

tgtaylor64

What is the fuel capacity? I have read 27 gallons but when I fill up a close to empty tank it seems more like 20 gallons. Is the transmission a 3 speed? I can tell when it shifts into second but I cannot detect when it goes into third. Can it be that unnoticeable? Does the vehicle have a 'passing gear'? Again, I cannot get it to 'kick down' when I floor it doing about 50 mph. Is there a light in the floor mounted 4WH/4WL shifter? Does Gen 1 serve battery 1 (front) and Gen 2 serve battery 2 (rear)?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Before the search NAZI's arrive. . .

26 gal approx
3 Speed turbo 400
above 50, maybe it will down shift, maybe not, the kickdown is controlled electrically by a switch on the accelerator, and some other circuitry, but if it downshifts below 50 its working.

etc., etc, etc,

Welcome to SS

Search usually will provide your answers, good luck!

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Also, the Vac lines on these trucks are all most likely dry rotted, check the modulator on the tranny, and at the Vac pump on the back of the motor in the position where the Distributor is on a gas engine, check all these lines for cracks

Oldsouthernboy

As for the fuel capicty just go to the back of the truck, lay down and look at the skid plate over the fuel tank, some times they are crushed and dent the fuel tank causing you to loose fuel room in the tank.

Barrman

Besides searching, another good information source is the manuals the government spent millions making about these trucks. They used to be available here until a week or so ago. Now, your best bet is go to this site:

JATONKAM35s HOME ON THE WEB

Download the CUCV manuals and read them all. The -10 is similar to a regular vehicle owners manual. It will tell you that the 4x4 light is the top left light on the guage cluster and that the floor mounted shifter is not light at all in any way.

The -20 has a huge troubleshooting section that will talk you through how to fix most items.