• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding a transmission drain plug?

I just dropped the pan from my 4 speed to change the fluid (and filter while I'm at it). I'm wondering, is it worth it to add a drain plug to the pan while its out? I've seen a video where a guy drills a hole and welds a nut and I've also seen other products that don't need welding. Next time, should I just disconnect one of the transmission cooler return lines and connect a hose, start it up, and run it until it stops flowing?

papakb

There's a dozen places online where you can buy a 4L80 transmission pan with a drain plug already in it for around $30. Why go thru the trouble to hack one up yourself?

There's a dozen places online where you can buy a 4L80 transmission pan with a drain plug already in it for around $30. Why go thru the trouble to hack one up yourself?
I got a dorman matching OEM profile pan with a drain plug. I didn't like some of the other pans with a different profile because when under the HMMWV, a different profile pan might be the first thing that strikes a rock from what I could see.