• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

After new harmonic balancer engine feels a bit out of time.

edpdx

New harmonic balancer installed last week. But I am detecting what feels like slow pick-up, like you'd get in a gasser if the timing was a little off. Should I suspect the HB, or IP maybe?

Barrman

The balancer should not have an effect on how the engine runs. Was the old one separated or something? Might just be a feel thing.

How old is your fuel, fuel filter and air filter? Maybe you got caught with old summer fuel in the tank and cold weather? Or, you put in winter fuel that has a higher bio mix that clogged up your fuel filter? Trying to suggest the normal maintenance stuff that can stack up to be a problem when the weather changes.

edpdx

Hmmm. I just thought that the HB might have been "off" a little when last timed, so that a new one would be even more so.

The fuel filter is a month old. I have had the tank filled twice since I installed the new HB, so I don't think it's fuel related- some new fuel lines, too.

The engine fires right up cold or hot. When I accelerate from a dead stop, the shifting is fine, but the engine makes less power as I accelerate.

New injectors and glow plugs this summer. New lift pump 2 weeks ago.

I'm a little stumped over the symptom.

Barrman

Is the IP timing line still lined up with the line on the timing cover? If so, unless you used a Snap On lumy mag timing machine or one of the induction pulse converters since the balancer change to reset the timing. The balancer has no effect on timing.

edpdx

Is the IP timing line still lined up with the line on the timing cover? If so, unless you used a Snap On lumy mag timing machine or one of the induction pulse converters since the balancer change to reset the timing. The balancer has no effect on timing.
Huh? I've never timed a diesel; I don't know those tools. The new balancer did make the nasty vibes I was getting all but disappear, but there is something causing the condition I described.

It's not the air filter- new last month. View attachment 705754
I found a vac line off last week- knocked loose while working on the alt belt, I think. Could I have ruined the valve?

Oh, I just noticed air bubbles in some of the injector lines- mine are new TYGON yellow/transparent. Will these cause rough running? How do I get the air out?

Barrman

The vacuum line only handles shifting of the transmission. If it was off, the transmission was shifting into 3rd at about 12 mph which would for sure make the truck feel sluggish with the 3.08 axle gears. Or, it wasn't shifting at all which you would probably notice.

The air bubble bring us back to the fuel filter. What filter do you have? If you have air bubbles, air is getting into the fuel supply before the IP somehow. Normally, this is at the filter base on the stock filters. If they are all the time, then it is before the lift pump because everything after the lift pump is under pressure. If it is just a bit after start up, or it starts runs for a few seconds and dies. Then has a hard time starting again the first start of the day. Look at your filter and base.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks