• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Cleaner Question

TheAxeman

I took apart the air cleaner today to see how gunked up it was only to find out that there was not a drop of oil in the sump. As a matter of fact, it doesn't look like there has been oil in there in 20 years.....nothing but a little bit of rust. Before I go and put oil into it, I wanted to clean the actual filter. Is there a way of doing this? What weight oil should I put into it? Has any damage been done? Should the band clamp that holds it onto the carb be tight enough that the air cleaner can't spin?

While I have you, one other question.:smile:

Can someone tell me what the short pipe is directly behind the exhaust coming off the block on the passenger side near the firewall? It is about 1 1/4" in diameter, is metal, and points straight at the ground with the end of it cut at a 45 degree angle. When I took the truck out for its shakedown run, smoke was coming out of it. My service manual hasn't arrived yet so when it does I promise to stop asking elementary questions.

pwrwagonfire

I haven't dealt with the air cleaner on my M37, but I have on our WM300 Power Wagons at work (same cleaner essentially).
I've got the M37 manual right here; It says "Servicing of the carburetor air cleaner...should be performed as frequently as operating conditions require."

I'd say clean out the rust the best you can; the M37 service manual suggests using mineral spirits to clean the element and reservoir, then drying it with compressed air. This is EXACTLY what I did at work.

I believe it takes one quart? The manual says to change this oil every 1,000 miles or so. There should be a mark on the inside for the oil level...Manual says nothing about how tight, I just did finger tight on our power wagon and it's worked fine, just don't over tighten.

Someone else would have to correct me if I'm wrong, but I BELIEVE we used the same oil (SAE30) that we put in our truck. Manual doesn't really say.

Hope this helps!

TheAxeman

That definitely helps, thanks. I'll try the mineral spirits and see how that works out. From the appearance, it looks like the screen and filter are pretty mucked up so maybe a good soaking overnight will be in order to try and loosen some of that stuff up. I suppose anything I do will be better than what it is.

Any idea what the pipe off the engine might be? I would say its about 16" long or so.

pwrwagonfire

Definitely. From my experience with mineral spirits a good soaking/sloshing around will probably help out a lot. I'd let the parts air dry afterwards though, in addition to blowing them out with compressed air.

I had to use this type of chemical when rebuilding my axles this summer, thats the process which I used! Good luck!

Sorry I can't be of any help with the pipe...I looked all through the manuals I have and didn't see anything, if you can post a picture.

Just a long shot here...but maybe the remains on the air intake for a fording kit?

TheAxeman

hmmm, something having to do with fording.....my frustratingly uneducated mechanical sense says no just because it drops down to the bottom of the block. I have an old labeled schematic of the entire trucks engine, drivetrain, etc... and it doesnt show it. The only thing it shows is a hole in the engine block which accepts the pipe. I keep forgetting to bring my camera to take a pic....Therefore

nopics

majorhitt

The pipe you're talking about may be for the fording system. Does it come out just to the left of the valve access cover? If so a pipe from that would go to a valve then to the manifold. Take a look at a post a few pages back "detailed engine pictures" that may help. It' still hard to see the pipe you're talking about , but may help.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Im sure you will get this alot , but I use 15W40 Rotella in the M37's. I know its diesel oil but theres alot of threads on SS about it. Same goes in your oil bath filter - Jay

pwrwagonfire

The pipe you're talking about may be for the fording system. Does it come out just to the left of the valve access cover? If so a pipe from that would go to a valve then to the manifold. Take a look at a post a few pages back "detailed engine pictures" that may help. It' still hard to see the pipe you're talking about , but may help.
EXACTLY what I was saying!

longshot2171

I think the pipe in question is the crankcase vent line that runs through the metering valve , and then into the intake below the carb. Is it connected at the rear passenger side of the block by a fitting and one bolt. It should run straight away from the block, turn 90 degrees once emerging from underneath the manifolds, bends 90 deg. up into the metering valve, then there is a 90 deg. fitting that attatches to the intake (also where the air cleaner/horn support bolts to. My truck is a 63 so there isn't a fording valve on the line. I think the earlier ones have one before the metering assembly

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks