• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Am I even registered? Dumb registration question

TexAndy

I went the former military vehicle registration route a few months ago. Paid a bunch of "fees" got a plate in the mail 3 weeks later.

Well now a friend of mine just went the same route, but he got a registration sticker with his paperwork and a plate.

Was I supposed to get a registration sticker?

On my reciept where it says "Sticker type:" it's left blank. And there's nothing in the list of fees for a sticker.

On my list of fees it has "antique plt" listed for $40. On his, there's no listing for the plate or charge for it, but he has a "sticker fee" for $40. And on his "sticker type:" entry, it says MT or something.

Is my truck in fact registered or isn't it? Why would they give me the plate but not a registration sticker? Is the plate the registration sticker? The plate has my lic plate number and in the top right it has 313, which I'm guessing is March 2013 (expiration date of registration, according to the reciept)

So what is the deal? Only thing I'm concerned about is being covered by my MVPA membership fleet insurance for the upcoming Boy Scout 100th anniversery parade. I'd be willing to bet that the coverage only extends to registered vehicles.

pvtjorge

Sorry I can't get the font color back to the color of other post.

I would say you are registered.

I don't know if a sticker is presented also with a plate if you wanted a plate instead of opting to use painted on numbers as a registration number. I used painted on hood numbers, eight digits total, but the state uses the last six of those digits as the registration number and I was issued a sticker which I leave in the glove box. I would give them a call back and ask them about the sticker.

By the way the $40 fee is prorated. At the next renewal time I guess in four years for you the fee will be $50 for five years.

I copied this from the Texas Statute.

(b) The Department shall issue license plates which shall contain the words "Antique Auto," "Antique Truck," or "Antique Motorcycle" and which are valid for a maximum period of five (5) years. Alternatively, the Department may allow antique license plates to be used on an antique vehicle if the owner of the vehicle presents the antique license plates to the Department for approval and the antique license plates were issued by this state in the same year as the model year of the vehicle. If antique license plates are used on a vehicle, the Department shall issue to the owner a symbol, valid for a maximum period of five (5) years, to be placed on one of the license plates, as determined by the Department, designating the year in which the vehicle was registered under this section. A former military vehicle operated on a public highway is not required to display license plates or any symbol, tab, or other device indicating registration of the vehicle if proof of current registration for the vehicle, in the form prescribed by the Department, is carried in the vehicle and the vehicle displays in a prominent location on the vehicle a registration mark prescribed by the Department. The Department shall allow use of a unique identification mark similar to the mark assigned that vehicle by the armed force in which the vehicle was used. If such a mark is not used, the Department shall designate a registration mark consisting of numbers, letters, or numbers and letters in combination, at least two inches in height. To the extent possible, the location and design of the registration mark under this subsection must conform to the vehicle's official military design and markings.
(d) On application and payment of the proper fee to the County Tax Assessor‑Collector of the county in which the owner resides, the Department shall furnish such license plates or a symbol, if applicable, and receipts which shall be issued to the owner. Any required [and such] plates or symbol shall be valid without renewal for the period for which the vehicle is registered, provided such vehicle continues to be owned by the same owner.
(h) In this section, "former military vehicle" means a vehicle that:
(1) has been, but no longer is, used by the armed forces of a national government; and
(2) displays markings indicating it was a military vehicle.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andy, you are good to go. Pvt J covered all the pertinent bits, I will just reconfirm that the sticker, if you get one, goes with your papers, not attached to the truck.

With that, you are covered with the club insurance. [thumbzup]
See you Saturday!

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There seems to be quite a bit of variance from county to county, and sometimes at different offices within the county.

Originally, when you don't get plates, you were supposed to get a foil sticker that was to be placed in an inconspicuous spot in your cab. A few years back a buddy of mine got one for his M725, but since then the same office issues the full colour window sticker to put with the papers. They said somebody did away with the foil sticker printing feature in the state software, so they can't produce them anymore. They amended the rule to where you just have to be able to show it. Your "I paid" paperwork showing registration dates is what you need with you.

Don't get hung up on the term 'display' in your paperwork either. By definition the state 'display' law for the sticker is the same as for your DL - you have to be able to produce it from wherever you carry it and show it to a peace officer upon demand.

NB- We are talking Texas law here folks. The answers herein are for TEX Andy, not NY Andy, or MI Andy, or........ :wink:

Cheers

Last edited:

pvtjorge

You got it right Rory, Seems like the countys are not consistant. Heck most of them have never done a registration like this before. I was the first to do it in Hardin County in 07. The clerks are having a learning experience.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks