• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any ideas for stickies re.: CAD/CAM AND 3D software/hardware.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Seems like newbies like me might benefit by standing on others’ experience re.: platforms to purchase and software to utilize and companies to trust with production.

Maybe something similar to TM’s on military vehicles.

I need to design a simple flat HMMWV dashboard, and I’d love to transfer that design to software and then upload to a business for one off production.

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like newbies like me might benefit by standing on others’ experience re.: platforms to purchase and software to utilize and companies to trust with production.

I need to design a simple flat HMMWV dashboard, and I’d love to transfer that design to software and then upload to a business for one off production.
Something like SendCutSend? There is another one, too that folks here like—

HDN

Autodesk Fusion is my go-to for any CAD work. It reminds me of Inventor from when I used that a long time ago. For more artistic stuff I learned how to use Blender as it's an excellent 3D mesh editor.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I can help you with that. Give me the dimensions you know about and the dimensions of things you'd like and we could work from there. I've already revers engineered half of my truck and the entire habitat. I use SolidWorks. They do have a SolidWorks version for tinkers that's very cheap, and also OnShape it's free if you don't mind sharing the designs with others.IMG_20230928_134301.jpg

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think this is a good idea TOBASH. Many of us have done some piddling around making parts here and there. We do have a section, but no one has stepped up to moderate and curate it (unless I missed it).

Here's an info bit: I heard Autodesk has free or cheap subscriptions for veterans , for those interested in learning CAD on a budget. I haven't had time to sign up. It may no longer be an active program. I want to learn, but work and home repairs have me too distracted. I sold my off-brand dual extruder 3D printer this past Spring and leveled up to an Ultimaker S5 Professional bundle with auto-change filament and an air extractor and have barely had time to use it.

Let's keep this thread going!

BDGR

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter

A simple replacement dash sounds like a good idea. The biggest challenge to the design that I can see in my mind's eye is that most 3D printers are limited on build space, so the design would have to be modular and then assembled. Maybe that means making different modules that can be assembled as the owner desires, each with common fitment and openings for gauges and tattletale lights.

BDGR

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thinking first to design a dashboard unit with Cad Cam that can be laser cut and bent at a manufacture specialized in online production.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A simple replacement dash sounds like a good idea. The biggest challenge to the design that I can see in my mind's eye is that most 3D printers are limited on build space, so the design would have to be modular and then assembled. Maybe that means making different modules that can be assembled as the owner desires, each with common fitment and openings for gauges and tattletale lights.

BDGR
Many waterjet places will charge you about $100 minimum charge to cut out complex shapes and sometimes that even includes the price of the material. You do have to send them a dxf file or very clear dimensions. This would probably be better than 3D printing for this application. I have used 3D printing to make a puck lock holder which I sell on eBay, also small light bezels, a yaw gauge holder that includes pitch and compass, as well as replacement window visor clip. These smaller interior pieces are what it's good for. Definitely for a flat interior panel such as a gage cluster panel or something else waterjet does nicely.

HDN

Here's an info bit: I heard Autodesk has free or cheap subscriptions for veterans , for those interested in learning CAD on a budget. I haven't had time to sign up. It may no longer be an active program.
I run Autodesk Fusion with a hobbyist license, which Autodesk says is valid for individuals who make less than $100k/yr using the software, or something like that.

If you're interested in getting into it, I created some tutorial videos which you can access in the link provided in my signature.

EDIT: The hobbyist license is offered at no charge - FREE, in other words :)

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I run Autodesk Fusion with a hobbyist license, which Autodesk says is valid for individuals who make less than $100k/yr using the software, or something like that.

If you're interested in getting into it, I created some tutorial videos which you can access in the link provided in my signature.

EDIT: The hobbyist license is offered at no charge - FREE, in other words :)
Please PM links to site and your videos.
Thanks

Reactions: HDN

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I started out my career using AutoCAD, AutoCAD is made by Autodesk which also makes the fusion product. However when SolidWorks came out I switched to that, and haven't used AutoCAD or any other Autodesk product much since. There are a lot of cool features in fusion but I haven't had much of an opportunity to even tinker with that. I have tried OnShape but it's a little bit frustrating to use having used SolidWorks since 97, even though on shape was founded by the people that originally started SolidWorks. Interesting side note SolidWorks is owned by Dassault Systems which is the same company that makes a bunch of French military aircraft such as the mirage fighter jet, and the Dauphine helicopter. Now that SolidWorks has a tinker license if you're not actually using it for professional work that would be a good way to go. Compare it to fusion and see what you like better. The SolidWorks tinker license is $48 a year: https://discover.solidworks.com/3de...VNteQSnwE3pGNF-8szoBtcZHfzJUaslxoCiGYQAvD_BwE

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I paid for Fusion 360 full licenses here at work $490.00 a year. It is a good program for modeling and if you can use the CAM to program CNC its the cats ass. Downside is it runs in the cloud...not good for sensitive stuff. Hard to beat for the price. Looks like MasterCAM. Easier to work with too in my opinion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks