• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody know what these were for???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drock

These brackets were mounted to the threshold of the bed corners. I removed them and install these D rings from Harbor Freight. I was just curious as to what they would be for?Bracket1.jpgBracket 2.jpg

Drock

Yeah M1028, There kinda rotted and mangled so it was hard to see how they would have functioned and my tailgate seems to be ah replacement. So I figured they mite have bin some sort of mesh tailgate or something.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A look at the parts TM probably could have answered your question.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Treat? I informed him. (made a simple statement)

Do you know if he knows about the TMs(and how to use them)? I don't.

And I would be glad to explain how to use them(and where they are), should he ask.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the easiest ways to find a part name, part numbers or how something goes together is to find the set of tech manuals for your vehicle, open up the parts manual and scan through the pictures until you find what you are looking for.

I can't tell you how many times this has helped me when I have been working on various MVs. I wish civilian vehicles had similar tech manuals.

Drock

Well sense we're on this subject . I'm used to Chiltons and shop manuals that have an index and glossary. Compared to them I find these military manuals are tedious and hard to follow if you don't speak military lingo. And to address nchittendone's comment, This site is the ABSOLUTE bible for these trucks and I wouldn't have bin able to understand half the repairs needed for this restoration. That being said I do find myself walking on eggshells when participating in this site as it can get unnecessarily hostile very quick. I hope I haven't offended anyone and now they wont answer any of my questions.............see what I mean:grin:

Skinny

I think if someone asks about a repair procedure, a troubleshooting guide, or an oil specification the TM would be one of the first places to visit before posting a question. This would be addressing the million "my gen light is on" questions. I don't think in my opinion the OP was out of line by asking what the brackets are for. I've never seen them and now I know what they are all without having to study the TM's endlessly.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The CUCV TMs have the following:

Introduction
Table of Contents
Appendix
Glossary
Alphabetical Index
and foldouts in the paper versions.

The electronic versions are in PDF format and searchable. All my Chilton manuals are paper and I have to physically search. The TMs I just type and click.

I do not find the TMs tedious at all. If you find the TMs hard to follow, just look at a GM factory shop manual. I find them hard to follow.

You have not stepped on anyone's toes. You are welcome here and we hope you have a wonderful stay.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have asked EVERYONE to stop using the "check the TM" reply. Because if that's the answer to everything. There's no need to have a forum.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Opening the TM 9-2320-289-20P parts manual and searching for "bracket" I found diagram #152 in under 5 seconds. I for one have also never seen this bracket, but now I also know what it is.

View attachment 507970

Who ever had the truck previously had used the blue flame wrench to remove most of the bracket

Skinny

Since the response to the OP has been modified to accommodate users with low self esteem and we as a forum basically bitch slapped him, told him his TM searching sucks, then said he is welcome and have a nice day...unacceptable in my opinion. That is not representing the forum I want to be a part of. Not like the OP posted doing something illegal, unsafe, or just a dub question.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hopefully the OP's questions have been answered. Hopefully attitudes will improve as well.

Again, if all you want to say is "read the TM", please don't bother with posting it. That said, it's perfectly acceptable to help educate by giving a link/specific page/exacts on something related to the TMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks