• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Auto V.s. Manual

What trans for my application

• Total voters

dmilkman589

Im getting ready to start looking for parts for a trans swap but I just cant make the final deccision. Do I want the 700r4, or do i want the nv4500.

It is going in an 84 m1009. Used allot on highways, also used for medium to mild off roading. Looking to run a 33 inch tire while keeping the stock axles as long as possible.

Basically what the question is, what will the 6.2 like the most while still having the 3:08 gears, while taking into accout ease of install mixed with price of parts such as driveshaft changes ext.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say stock is perfect compromise for your two opposite needs.

Yeah what they said. The TH400 are durable trannys and with 3.08 gears and 33's you will be running fairly low rpms at 65-70mph in stock form anyways.
The overdrive in the 4500 and 700r4 mixed with 3.08's and 33's, will give you very low rpms on the highway... around 1400rpm. You'll will have to downshift anytime you come upon an incline.
So essentially what the 6.2 will like the most is the TH400 and 3.08's.

The only bonus you'd get with the 700r4 is a lower 1st gear ratio than TH400, which means the truck will be a little quicker off the line.

Of course a manual would be awesome. But is the cost worth it? Especially with stock 10bolts.

Last edited:

dmilkman589

There is a fairly easy trail near where I live that climbs up a mountain. The trail is fairly smooth, but parts of it are steep enough that the blazer wont even go up in high range. It wont slip a tire, just simply wont have enough power to make the hill. Thats running 31's. Once i put on 33's i feel it wont go up any grade at all without decent momentum. Thats my main concern.

dependable

With the relatively low torque of the 6.2, mostly the automatic works best, in my opinion. If your stock tranny is working, it is silly to change it out for marginal gain one way or the other. If it needs to be replaced or rebuilt, it will be a lot easier to put another TH400 than anything else. It is not a bad fit in the 1009 with 308 gears. Use the low range for when you need it, that is why it is there, like cliffyp says.

If you are going to put a manual tranny in a CUCV, you are wasting you time if you don't use a modern tranny like the NV4500. Think that is whats in my 97 Dodge, almost the last of the 12 valve 5.9s.....anyway, keep it simple if you can.

Last edited:
Sounds like you need lower gears in the diff's if you wanna get up that hill without switching to low-range. The lower gearing in 1st in the 700r4 or NV4500 probably wont net you the results you're looking for without further modifications, and it would be a more expensive way of going about it.
Completely swapping out the stock axles for 10 or 12 bolts with 3.42 gears would probably be the cheapest way to gain a little off-roading capability, while keeping the highway RPM's down. Or you can find ring and pinion sets for the 10bolt for pretty cheap.

To build a great trail rig that can also handle highway use; D60 w/ LSD front and locked Corp 14 rear w/ 3.73 gears, and NV4500 trans would be the way to go. But you're looking at several thousand bucks to do that swapping.

Westech

CPL
with 33" tires in the 09 i ALWAYS off roaded in low range. the 6.2 just is not a power house.
For off roading I like the auto. No clutch burning up and having to loose momentum shifting gears.
Its hard to ez in to the power with a clutch ie: going up a big slate rock hill. Trust me for off roading you want a auto.