• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Autozone Half-shaft fail

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While it was not the failure I was thinking about when I decided to "test" one of the Autozone half shafts on the DuraVee, the dang boot just came loose as it must not have been installed correctly, this was only after 45 miles at no more than 70MPH, what a mess!!! good thing they have a lifetime warrantee....
Half shaft fail.jpg
Actually it looks like it was machined improperly as there is no shoulder on the outside to keep the boot from slipping off.
I have had one on #1 for a couple thousand miles, so far so good on that one.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased these shafts online, so I called the "local" store and they said one would be in by 3PM tomorrow and I could exchange it no problem..

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in the day in another lifetime when I was a store manager. They had customer satisfaction to take care of additional needs. I would ask for cans of brake cleaner and degreaser to Clean the mess. Did the pads get grease on them also?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some times a new 10K axle is hard to come by, not all of us have a stockpile of parts, besides I want to see if they are as bad as some say, with 365HP on 2WD (part time FWD) it should be a good test before swapping all over to 12.1K and before the novelty of being able to lay rubber for almost a block wears off.

Awol

Some times a new 10K axle is hard to come by, not all of us have a stockpile of parts, besides I want to see if they are as bad as some say, with 365HP on 2WD (part time FWD) it should be a good test before swapping all over to 12.1K and before the novelty of being able to lay rubber for almost a block wears off.
That novelty will never wear off!

Reactions: REF

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
That's like putting a 7 Amp fuse in place of a of a 15 Amp. Then for giggles double the HP.

Something going to blow, CAMO

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's like putting a 7 Amp fuse in place of a of a 15 Amp. Then for giggles double the HP.

Something going to blow, CAMO
Not too sure about that, like many topics here I suspect many of the "experts" have no actual experience with these half shafts.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Not too sure about that, like many topics here I suspect many of the "experts" have no actual experience with these half shafts.
The quality of parts you get at autozone should even give the most novice owner a clue. I like how you put your quotes when referring to those folks that have no experience but the common sense not to use them just so you can replace it every few months

I'll add that after reading some of your post it's clear you aren't anywhere near the having experience category

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Before this becomes a pissing match, I will say Mogman is on point in that the TM’s don’t seem to indicate the failure point torque values of the three types of axles. Without that information all statements here are anecdotal IMHO.

Best,

T

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Not going after anyone's skills or abilities... just looking at the facts. Your two in service. One fails in 45 miles. So far an in service 50% fail rate and grief to suck the fun out of the weekend. I take my hat off to you for the build... and going the extra mile to test one.

You'er right...I have NO experience with the "ZONE' half-shaft product. Changed a few fuel pumps, water pumps, alternators, starter's, hoses, couple radiator caps, window regulators, cheap ass hose clamps, etc.

Doesn't make me an expert, BUT having to do it again to get any mileage out of the parts make me qualified to know OEM is the way to go.

Well you can't knock the return policy, reward points and the snacks at check-out.

Or looking to fix the short term girl friend's ride, to get her down the road.

Real question here... Are you going to return and replace? Grab me a Snickers bar on the way out, CAMO

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before this becomes a pissing match, I will say Mogman is on point in that the TM’s don’t seem to indicate the failure point torque values of the three types of axles. Without that information all statements here are anecdotal IMHO.

Best,

T
And it doesn’t need too....one can visually compare a 7700 shaft to 10 or 12k and see it’s a night and day difference.
OP is just being cheap...10k shafts are readily available at any distributor.
you had no problem spending the money on a Dmax conversion, but you want to now cut the most important corner
in the upgrade, that would be halfshafts. I don’t care where you spend your money, or on what parts or where you buy them,but don’t cry when the autozone crap part grenades and spews CV grease all over the place.
Even new owners who call my shop ask for 10k shafts to replace the 77’s.

Awol

The quality of parts you get at autozone should even give the most novice owner a clue. I like how you put your quotes when referring to those folks that have no experience but the common sense not to use them just so you can replace it every few months

I'll add that after reading some of your post it's clear you aren't anywhere near the having experience category

What a D-bag thing to say

JetbikeAnt

I have used one out of 4 Autozone Half Shafts that I purchased. They were on sale and I paid $320 for the set. I asked my Mechanic and he said they seemed of better quality than the one that was installed from the Military. I had to knock off the ABS Ring, as it looked like the clearance was too close for comfort. I have not had any issues and I drive the crap out of my M998. I wouldn't hesitate to install the others. I only drive up to 55 mph though. Just my experience with them for what its worth.

dhaumann69166

I order the cheaper half shafts from Autozone. Knock the ABS rings off and they fit perfect. I have a set in the rear end of my 87 M998 and around 30,000 miles on them and no issues. I have beat it through the hills, pulled dump box trailers full of railroad rock (around 16,000lbs), and helped pull a skid steer out of the mud bouncing off the end of the chain the whole time.
Before I sold my 93 M1038 I replaced 3 out of the 4 halfshafts with the Autozone ones and had no issues. Can’t remember how many miles were on them when I sold it but I have talked to the guy who bought it from me 2 years ago and he hasn’t had any problems. Eventually I plan on upgrading to CTIS and 12K halfshafts but for now the the cheap ones are holding strong.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK I guess I am about finished beating on the Autozone half shafts, evidently there is no hope for those that do not understand what "test to failure" means and of course there are those that have "skin in the game" that are going to absolutely disparage any use of something they are not making profit on.

Are they without flaw?? No I have found one flaw that I have been able to repeat a few times, But only because the DuraVee can easily attain triple digit speeds, ALL the boot failures have been a result of triple digit speeds, the boots are too "supple" or "pliable" and at post 100MPH speeds they grow too much and hit the suspension components, then they look like this and have damage in the form of small holes.
FAILURE.jpg
That would make an interesting GO PRO video if I had one.
Fortunately the 57K0275 outer boot fits perfectly ( it is likely a 10K not a 7K shaft as suggested) so it was an easy repair and not likely to fail simply because of speed as the OEM boots are thicker and less pliable.
but I doubt I will be testing that theory as all kinds of strange things start to happen at "speed" and I have tempted fate enough....
57K0275.jpg
Would this ever be an issue for your Detroit Diesel powered HMMWV, I seriously doubt it!

As far as brute strength, I have beat on them with 365+ HP like a dirty rug, so much so that I have concerns that I may cause a failure of another one of the drive train components, you must also consider that the DuraVee has part time 4WD so ALL the torque is being delivered to only the rear axle. (on the street)
So are you going to "break" one with your Detroit Diesel powered HMMWV?,, seems doubtful unless you get carried away with Throttle/Brake modulation or do something really stupid.
Of course I am not talking about you "heavy variant" guys, you already have heaver half shafts.

As far as long term durability, who knows and only time will tell, they happily replaced the first two speed induced boot failures and both times had them the next day, (once I confirmed what was causing the failures I of course did not ask them to replace any more!) I will not be testing them long term on this truck as I am planning to replace all the running gear (diff, half shafts and hubs) with new or rebuilt components including 12K half shafts and hubs before loading it up to "heavy variant" type weight, but have been running them for some time on the M998 #1.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Triple digits in a HMMWV? Yikes! With the aerodynamics of a brick you might go airborne. With the windshield having the strength of tinfoil you might have issues without a roll cage.

Testing to failure means testing the vehicle, not the driver’s life.

Best,

T

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Triple digits in a HMMWV? Yikes! With the aerodynamics of a brick you might go airborne. With the windshield having the strength of tinfoil you might have issues without a roll cage.

Testing to failure means testing the vehicle, not the driver’s life.

Best,

T
Aw heck that ain't nothin, I actually am getting more cautious in my old age, a few years ago I would be able to tell you where she topped out cuz believe me she showed no signs of letting up as she crossed that 3 digit threshold.
Interestingly enough I switched tunes using my stock (as far as I know) tune from my 1 ton, I did remove the max allowed speed along with some other necessary changes,, I however did not correct the gear and tire ratio from the 3.73 and the stock tires and the "live data" which is the uncorrected computer vehicle speed was indicating 63MPH when the GPS speedometer was reading 60MPH, pretty dang close..

Even going back to a stock tune it is still a blast to drive considering the 1 ton weighs over 8000 lbs and the M998 only 5200 lbs and I suspect it is still making more than stock HP because it still has the performance turbo, injectors and CP3 pump.

JetbikeAnt

Hello Gents. Bringing this one back up for a question. Will the Autozone half shafts work on an A2 truck as well? I know they are not as heavy. I'm only wondering if they would fit. I thought a lot of the Hub stuff would be different on the A2 vs. the A0, but its not. Only the addition of another seal. So I'm thinking they will fit, but before I let them go with my M988 I would like clarification. Thank you!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Gents. Bringing this one back up for a question. Will the Autozone half shafts work on an A2 truck as well? I know they are not as heavy. I'm only wondering if they would fit. I thought a lot of the Hub stuff would be different on the A2 vs. the A0, but its not. Only the addition of another seal. So I'm thinking they will fit, but before I let them go with my M988 I would like clarification. Thank you!
It is my understanding the A2 vehicles have the 12K hubs, the Autozone halfshafts will not fit the 12K hubs

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks