• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BANKS SIDEWINDER and other questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmagic94

Do they make a 6.2L kit to fit a HMMWV? I emailed them but maybe someone can answer this already?

Can I add a ring turret to the 2 door or 4 doors I am buying easily?

What about CTIS?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
HMMWV's use a interesting valley mounted turbo setup.

IMG_5466.jpg

Banks doesn't make one of these that I know of. (Nor would I personally give them the money) I think the 6.5 van setups use a comparable turbo setup, but I'm not sure 100%.

Don't see a ring mount working easily on a 2 door due to lack of roof space for the ring. CTIS, you could add, but it'll get costly quick.
http://www.hummerknowledgebase.com/tire/addCTIS.pdf

3dAngus

Thanks Ke5eua.
Maybe I'm getting tight with my money now that I'm out of DOD (LOL), but $50-100K seems like an awful lot for an "upgrade"

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No one makes a kit for the 6.2 6.5 anymore, they are out there, just not new.
To add the 6.5TD will set you back about 20k...if you want it done right.
engine complete 10k, 4L80E trans 1500-2500, 242 tcase 500-1000.
body harness 1800.00, get where I'm going...that's only the major items...you still have all the serpintine
setup, and new Generator etc....

PM me if you are in need of parts...I have 3k sqft shop full of new, used HMMWV parts.

nattieleather

I thought it was interesting that Mr. Banks said the exhaust smoke was an important factor. Funny but the stock HMMWV didn't belch as much black smoke as the Banks one did. That thing looked like a city bus back in the 70's. OMG!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
smoke equals power in a diesel in my experience

My f250 makes 695 hp
Judging on a curb weight of 7000 lbs and your quart mile time of 13.2, that number is a bit off. More like 500hp. (Works out that way on both weight vs. ET and trap speed vs weight)
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/Phil/bg/

Unless you're trying what many do of "adding up all the mods". That just doesn't work out like that.

3dAngus

Smoke equals heat.
Heat equals signature.
Signature can mean death, in case of an enemy with a heat seeking missile.
Not good, and it was the first thing I thought of when that Banks HMMWV was belching horrible smoke when it should not have, according to the designer.
Marketing gone wrong?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Gale banks' builds are so fueled by propane it's hard to believe there'd be any unburnt diesel at all!

Blackmagic94

Judging on a curb weight of 7000 lbs and your quart mile time of 13.2, that number is a bit off. More like 500hp. (Works out that way on both weight vs. ET and trap speed vs weight)
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/Phil/bg/

Unless you're trying what many do of "adding up all the mods". That just doesn't work out like that.

Well first off you are off on my curb weight but nice try and second that quarter mile time was ran on a 250 hp tune setting and not the 350 tune that the truck now has, so again nice try.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well first off you are off on my curb weight but nice try and second that quarter mile time was ran on a 250 hp tune setting and not the 350 tune that the truck now has, so again nice try.
Well, there's still nearly 100 hp missing from your numbers? Seems your numbers lately aren't adding up.

Blackmagic94

Explain how you can calculate hp without knowning the actual weight? The only person making guesses is you, and frankly I dont know what your issue is with me but i think you need to chill out. Ive been a member here for a while now.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Used a 7K curb weight. Yes, that's a total guess given all the variants of F-250's. It's an apples to oranges comparison, but my 99 Dodge 2500 with a 5.9 ex-cab 4x4 weighed 7300lbs with a toolbox and junk loaded in it.

Here's what the 2008 curb weights were listed, so I went to the high end of the scale and added in for driver/junk.

Cab

Regular Cab
SuperCab
Crew Cab
Cargo Box

8ft​
6.75ft​
8ft​
6.75ft​
8ft​
Drive

4x2​
4x4​
4x2​
4x4​
4x2​
4x4​
4x2​
4x4​
4x2​
4x4​
Base curb weight

F250 SRW

5633​
6092​
5887​
6346​
5991​
6458​
6051​
6523​
6152​
6618​

Actually if you had a regular cab truck in 2wd, the HP number would be even less. These are just rough numbers, but pretty close based off physics. (But things get skewed when we start talking traction, drivetrain loss, exc.)

I honestly just have an interest in the topic. I regret in a way selling my 99 Dodge Ram. Best numbers it laid down were 497hp. That was with a "stock" turbo, but a ton of parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks