• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big Push of CUCV's now very few ...

AJMBLAZER

HMMWV's can't be sold to the public. Nearly two decades ago the USMC TRADED some to a contractor and that's how the few genuine military M998's out there in civilian hands entered the market. The .gov shortly there-after changed the loop hole and since then nada, no, none, zilch, etc.
They're considered a combat vehicle so no, you can't buy one surplus. They get ripped to shreds and sold as scrap.

wired1000

:-( Maybe someday it'll be considered obsolete? They've been around for quite a while. I mean, 20-30 years from now or something, who knows?

from my understanding, Because they do not carry or meet all of the safety features and standards as a Civi vehicle, such as Air bags, impact resisitant bumpers, side impact bars, 3rd brake light, etc.... they are not considered safe on federal highways, as such... they will never be allowed to be sold due to llability concerns...

thats why CUCV's can be sold as they are, because they meet those requirements...

AJMBLAZER

from my understanding, Because they do not carry or meet all of the safety features and standards as a Civi vehicle, such as Air bags, impact resisitant bumpers, side impact bars, 3rd brake light, etc.... they are not considered safe on federal highways, as such... they will never be allowed to be sold due to llability concerns...

thats why CUCV's can be sold as they are, because they meet those requirements...
Wrong. Has nothing to do with crash standards or anything like that. If that made a HMMWV ineligible it'd also make most cars older than the 90's ineligible.

They're considered a combat vehicle. Even the cargos and ambulances. Just like you'll never be able to buy a LAV-25, M1 Abrams, Bradley, or Stryker from the government as surplus you'll never get a HMMWV.

A FMTV, HEMTT, PLS, deuce, 5 ton, etc are all considered transport vehicles same as a CUCV. Non-combat. Those can be sold.

Sad state of the world we live in.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For 1 ton CUCV and AMJBLAZER,

You might want to read this scan. I removed the vehicle specifics between (1-7) to keep it short.

Notice M151's were demilled because they were unsafe.

HMMWV's can be reutilized, transferred, donated (to approved entities). But it goes on to say if DRMS wants to pursue sales they may if vehicle is updated to FMSS standards! Now DRMS will never go through this hassle-they will just cut them up.

Gamma Goats/Goers are demil also.

Last, remember vehicles were released prior to these instructions and there are exceptions that have leaked out years ago.2cents

Attachments

Last edited:

AJMBLAZER

Dang, how old is that? I've never even seen a M151 or Gamma Goat.

HMMWV's can be given to other governmental agencies or organizations that work for/with the US government on government business (my work vehicle is a M1037 HMMWV) but they can not be resold. When they are done with the vehicle it goes back to DRMO and is then scrapped.
If/when our project is ever done all of our HMMWV's and former military vehicles go back to DRMO and my beloved M1037 will get chopped up.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Of course the newest manual was just updated 7 June 2011. It's currently downloading at work.:deadhorse:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks