• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blanking plug standard - original - radiator - M1009 / Chevrolet Blazer K5 6,2 Diesel

Elektroman99

Dear Steel Soldier Community,

I'm hoping that the forum's wealth of knowledge will enable me to avoid one of the steps.

First of all, an explanation:
I would like to install a second sensor to determine the temperature of the cooling water in addition to the "factory-installed" cooling water sensor in the radiator.
I know that the radiator has one or two blind plugs on the left-hand side when viewed from the front. It has to be said that I assume it is the original radiator fitted at the factory.
I just want to avoid draining and refilling the cooling water before fitting the second sensor, hence the question here in the forum.

Does anyone here in the forum have an empty original radiator or a vehicle in assembly in which there is no coolant and can tell me the thread size and standard of these "dummy plugs"? If anyone knows the place in the technical information and manuals where these are named, please let me know (name of the document and page).

I would be very pleased to receive your answers or references to further information.

Best regards
Elektroman99

Jeepadict

The coolant sensor is in the head, not the radiator. Download the TMs from the SS TM area, and it will tell/show you the location in the removal/install task.

If you want an additional sensor for somethinglike a physical/mechanical gauge, the heads are identical, so there's an unused coolant temp sensor port on the opposite side. Leave the radiator alone unless it's broken.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Don-T

The radiator is downstream of the thermostat. It seems as though any additional temperature sensor sensor should be upstream, either in the other head in the unused port like Jeepadict says or in the coolant crossover if you have a spare port there.

Elektroman99

I know of no unused ports in a stock radiator
I know that you are the CUCV and Blazer expert. Is there really no way to use a "blind plug" directly on the radiator, an unused inlet or outlet pipe in the radiator to fit an additional sensor?

@Jeepadict
Thank you for your reply.
This thread is basically about an additional sensor.

Can anyone tell me where (name of TM and page) I can find more information on this?
Unfortunately I have not found any information. That's why I'm asking here.

OK, I'll rephrase the question a little:
Can someone a) name me the TM - and page - where the standard factory fitted cooler, with the various connections and threads is named?
b) Which connections, outlets or inlets are unused on the M1009 and can be used for an additional sensor connection, what threads do they have?

Best regards
Elektroman99

cucvrus

You want the temperature sensor in the head of the engine. That is where the most important part of engine temperature is monitored. Head gaskets fail, heads warp from engine temperature. Water crossover manifolds don't give actual head water temperature and that is what counts. Good Luck. If you look that factory always takes temperatures at the heat source and pressures as far away from the pump as possible. Accurate readings that way.

Elektroman99

You want [...] Accurate readings that way.
@cucvrus
Thank you for your tip and the answer

OK, I don't want to push the M1009 to its performance limit.
I just want an additional display that shows me the general engine temperature via the cooling water. The ‘warning devices’ installed as standard in the M1009 are ‘simply written’ too few and react too late.

This is nothing new and nothing that is completely incomprehensible or comes close to sacrilege ion this community, is it?

CARC686

If it's your truck and you're keeping it forever, I reckon it doesn't really matter where you put the sensor. You'll get an idea of what's normal for whatever you end up with and you'll know if something is going wrong. Don't worry about upsetting people with your modifications. It's your truck, not theirs. Purists will pay less for it after you've changed it, but if you don't intend to sell it, then it couldn't matter less.

Elektroman99

I have already thought about installing a sensor adapter in the radiator inlet. Then, even if I want to sell it later, I will only need a replacement hose.

Does anyone know in which TM a part number of the radiator inlet hose and / or its inner diameter can be found?

Last edited:

vanaisa

cucvrus wrote: --- Water crossover manifolds don't give actual head water temperature ---

You: ---I just want an additional display that shows me the general engine temperature via the cooling water---

Why you want to install sender in place, where it shows wrong temperature readings? :confused:

Elektroman99

I had hoped that I had already explained this.

What have I got now?
I have a warning light that comes on when the engine is already overheated.

I wanted to take the general temperature at the radiator, because this is where the engine sends the hot water to cool down. As there don't seem to be any dummy plugs in the radiator, I'll probably put an adapter in the supply hose.

I just want a simple indication that I can see:
At idle and in neutral, the temperature rises to a certain level after a while. On country roads and motorways, it will also tend towards a certain temperature. However, if - due to a failure - or because I drive the engine at high revs for a long time, I can see that the temperature on the display rises steadily right up to the end of the scale.

I can therefore still react before fatal engine damage occurs.

Why should a display of the cooling water that is in the radiator inlet always be an ‘incorrect temperature’? The display also shows ‘cooling water temperature’ (in symbols) and not the temperature of the cylinder heads.

@vanaisa
Can you explain to me why the cooling water temperature measurement in the radiator inlet hose is ‘wrong’?

CARC686

No need for drama. Get the inside diameter of the rad hose, get a hard joiner with a sensor port in it, cut the hose in half, clamp it onto the joiner, and install your sensor. Sounds simple enough. Sounds like that's what you wanted to do. Go for it. They make some pretty slick gauge pods that mount to the A-pillar.