• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bleeding brake cylinders on M151A1

harryhr

I just replaced the master cylinder and wheel cylinders on my 1967 M151A1. I was recently told that I could not bleed the wheel cylinders by pumping the brake pedal (because it would destroy the rubber in the new cylinder's). How else would I bleed the brake system?

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You got some bad info. Easiest way is to have someone help you and bleed the brakes. Start with the wheel cylinder farthest from the master cylinder and work your way up.

Mark

harryhr

Bleeding the brakes using the brake pedal pumping action was the only way I was taught, kinda threw me off.
. Did not sound right to me. Just asking to double check. Oh, and by the way, when I was a young kid, I worked at a gas station, and did have a lady that would come in after winter to have her caris tires replaced with summer air and just before winter had her tires replaced with winter air.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank you for the confirmation. Much appreciated.
AND, if you have a little time, and a trip to the hardware store...
Here is a power bleeder (see attached pics)

Brake Bleeder from Weed Sprayer 01.jpgBrake Bleeder from Weed Sprayer 02.jpgBrake Bleeder from Weed Sprayer 03 Another Idea.jpgBrake Bleeder from Weed Sprayer 04.jpgBrake Bleeder from Weed Sprayer 05.jpg

This one (down below) is the store bought version with a rubber bladder between the fluid and the air reservoir.

Brake Bleeder.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the info and pic's, much appreciated. I will check that out.
The home brew bleeder is a pretty good piece of equipment. It requires a fair amount of fluid to function - and whatever you do - don't let your fluid get too low. When it starts pushing air and bubbles, it will drive you crazy.
The steel ball (commercial bleeder) separates the fluid from the air with a rubber bladder...