• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Boost antifreeze leak

I did a radiator pressure test on the cooling system. I only holds 5 psi. I can't get it above that, but it does hold that steady. That is also how much boost I can make with my turbo.
When driving under boost, I get a white cloud from under the hood and antifreeze sprayed on the engine.
I ran it at idle with the pressure tester on it. It did not build pressure.
Any ideas where the leak is? I don't see how an intake or exhaust issue could do this.
I put ARP studs in it with new gaskets recently.

Barrman

That sure screams HEAD GASKETS to me. When you are pimping the coolant tester. Can you hear air leaking from anywhere? Also, where is the coolant leaking on your engine coming from?

I didn't hear anything and I haven't been able to tell where it's coming from. I thought I'd try treating it like a leaky tire and pump it up and spray around with soapy water.
If I'm super lucky, (I rarely am on mechanical stuff), maybe it'll be a bad hose or clamp and it let's loose under load. Maybe the high output water pump is working to well. I hope.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pump the tester while it's running and see it for blow white smoke with the pressure up.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think it should hold 15 psi.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
When you put the studs in did you use any sealant? If memory serves, some of them go into coolant jacket.

richingalveston

the grey stuff is just torque lube. use it on the upper nuts, the bottom of the bolts should have thread sealer. I believe all of the head bolts go through to the water jacket.

you may have fixed the leak under the hood, but may still have a white cloud.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks