• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake fluid in the wrong place

Jeepsinker

I've been meaning to take the plug out of the back side of my airpack( long style) to check for water in there for a while now. I'm referring to the small plug on the end of the air cylinder. I didn't get water out, but I did get quite a bit of brake fluid... Now I know where my brake fluid is going. I didn't think there was a path of seepage between the air cylinder and the hydraulic side, but now I know better. I guess I'll order a long style airpack rebuild kit. I sure hope the spare core I have is rebuildable.

welldigger

Yup. There are a couple of seals on the piston shaft that can fail. Actually, it's very common for those to fail.

Pull whichever air pack you intend to rebuild down. Inspect everything. If there are any chips, scrapes, or rust in the chrome of the shaft it's toast. It will eat the new seals up.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

Thanks for the advice. I'm not going to pull mine off the truck until I have a good unit to replace it with. As you know, I can't have my deuce down on me. Since I drained that fluid from it and blew it out good I can lock the brakes up again and have a good high pedal.

skinnyR1

My airpack is doing the same. Leaking a bit out the back, at the same spot.
You are ok driving it like that? I am unsure and have parked mine until my kit comes in.

Jeepsinker

Probably better not to drive it that way, but I check mine regularly and drive it daily. It is a very slow seep, and I don't see it blowing apart or anything. I've seen a lot of people drive much worse.

Jeepsinker

Yeah if it was a leaking master cylinder or wheel cylinder I would be worried. An internal airpack seep doesn't scare me. I'm actually glad I found it. It is much more scary not knowing where the fluid is going.

welldigger

Hey a small brake fluid leak is better than rusty water puking out of your slobber tube. My firewall is still orange from that.