• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Pedal and Steering Pulsing ?

m38inmaine

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I picked up my M1097R1 yesterday from IP, I am now going through all the issues I have found so far. When I received it all the belts were missing, the long top PS bracket bolt was missing, the rest were loose as was the alternator mount bolts, quick disconnect at the fan hub was off. So I assume that it may have been in the process of changing out the PS pump before it was turned in or perhaps a belt change out, of course this is only a guess, the PS pump was full. So to start from scratch I replaced all 4 belts, replaced the missing bolt and re connected the fan hub fitting, topped off the PS pump. Started the truck, no whine from the pump but when you press the brake is vibrates up and down and the steering feels choppy/vibrates when you try and turn although not too bad it still turns fairly easy but it's not normal. Hoping to get some ideas, thanks.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Not sure on the brakes, but it sounds like you have air in the power steering lines. Especially if the quick disconnect was off. I had the same problem with my truck and followed this TM to purge the lines:

Exactly the procedure. Works for me every time on civilian and military units

m38inmaine

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the replies, I printed the instructions and followed it to a T, no bubbles or foam and ended at" replace power steering pump", pump ordered and will report back.

Thank you

m38inmaine

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update: After the bleeding process and I thought I needed(and ordered)a new pump, I ran it the next day and now it works normal, it must have had a stubborn air pocket that finally came out. I noticed I have a bleed nipple at the fan valve, I will try that as well if I ever need to bleed the system again. Thank you for the replies.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Update: After the bleeding process and I thought I needed(and ordered)a new pump, I ran it the next day and now it works normal, it must have had a stubborn air pocket that finally came out. I noticed I have a bleed nipple at the fan valve, I will try that as well if I ever need to bleed the system again. Thank you for the replies.
I’ve noticed that after bleeding procedure I need to let vehicles sit overnight for full benefit.

Reactions: cwc