• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Building a list of backup parts

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't see this in earlier posts. I want to build a list of the top ten replacement parts for a 89 M998 - specific to it only. Not belts or tires or even the radiator.

The hard to find stuff...

Call these the stuff that could break down if you're down in Honduras* and leave you out of commission for more than a few days...

From what I see right now, it might be only the Starter Box (Controller).

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fan clutch, hadn't thought of that. Water pump, definitely. Wondering if you might be able to substitute an alternator in a pinch.

Action

water / food for when you break down in the middle of nowhere.
tools
fire extinguisher
also use water for radiator when you blow a hose from a loose clamp.
oil
emergency blanket if cold outside.
a radio for companionship
towels to clean up after you fix what broke. also use water to wash hands
extra fuel
AAA card, ask for a rollback

wait... do you mean a list of things to take on the road, or spares to keep in the garage?

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spares on the road - for up to fifteen days out in the middle of nowhere. I have done SARS, ok with the rest. The M998 is new to me. Just thinking about parts.

Stonepicker1

If I had a HMMWV, I would first do a complete PMCS and repair and replace anything that needed fixing to include changing all old fluids/Hoses and filters.

I would have the following spare's on-hand: *** Complete Tool Box with correct tools****

1, Alternator/Generator

2. Control Box with Glow Plug Controller.

3. Fuel Filters.

4. Glow Plugs. (with the tools to remove stuck or broken ones)

5. Injector rubber return fuel lines.

6. Fuel Lift pump.

7. Windshield Glass is good to have also.

If you have the 6.2 engine, I would try and find a spare GEP 6.5 engine cheap and rebuild it for later.
I would also try and find a hard top with the X doors if you have the soft top. You will stay a lot dryer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks