• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper Storage Racks Are Done!

FDNY129

Does anyone know a source for these storage trays? Very practical. Looks like the OD Iron link/site isn't working and I read somewhere he's out of the business? Thanks
I've been looking for the same type of plates. Ever since I read about this I've wanted them, but he has long been out of touch with his website. Any leads?

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was caught out by this threads age too... I am making one of these for my M816 drivers side (passenger side has the vise plate). Don't think it's a good idea for fuel but an extra water Jerry can would work.

Not sure I can get into full on retail production mode but can do a fab drawing that you can trot off to your local welder guy...... For 5 tons that is, don't have access to a Deuce, though there is a local well driller that uses one, hmmmmm, maybe I can.........

***Deuce vs 5Ton differences: 5t has the fender brace (tube) - could be substituted by the tray, also glad hand would need moving or a cut-out in tray to accomodate.

**See also thread for CANADIAN Deuces'
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?103694-steps-behind-front-bumper-on-canadian-m35-s

Last edited:

goldneagle

I was caught out by this threads age too... I am making one of these for my M816 drivers side (passenger side has the vise plate). Don't think it's a good idea for fuel but an extra water Jerry can would work.

Not sure I can get into full on retail production mode but can do a fab drawing that you can trot off to your local welder guy...... For 5 tons that is, don't have access to a Deuce, though there is a local well driller that uses one, hmmmmm, maybe I can.........
I would be willing to make some if the metal is not too thick for my break. I would need some drawings for the measurements -since i don't have a 5 ton with extensions. I am looking for ways to make money. This might be a start.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would be willing to make some if the metal is not too thick for my break. I would need some drawings for the measurements -since I don't have a 5 ton with extensions.
Can you do:- a rolled (safe) edge? Maybe almost 180 deg to allow for painting inside lip. Could be an option for the outside edge rather than an upstand or down ward lip of 90 deg.
- A 'set' on the front edge would be nice to lie on top of the lower lip of the bumper so that the bottom is flush.
5ton tray1.jpg
I think demand would have to be assertained as to what is the popular design. If individually hand made like this, you could cover a whole range of options with regards edges, sides, drain holes, function etc....

Last edited:

goldneagle

Can you do:- a rolled (safe) edge? Maybe almost 180 deg to allow for painting inside lip. Could be an option for the outside edge rather than an upstand or down ward lip of 90 deg.
- A 'set' on the front edge would be nice to lie on top of the lower lip of the bumper so that the bottom is flush.
View attachment 423224
I think demand would have to be assertained as to what is the popular design. If individually hand made like this, you could cover a whole range of options with regards edges, sides, drain holes, function etc....
I don't have a sheetmetal shop with all kinds of fancy equipment. I was going by the original work shown in the beginning of the thread. He was using 90 degree bends to strengthen the metal shelf. I did notice he did not match the angles of the bumper when he cut the shelves. If you are going to sell these publicly they need to be more exact as to the angles of the bumper to look more professional. How heavy of a gauge metal are we talking here?

That lip over the bumper , I think, requires a special machine that rolls the edge to make that offset bend. I don't have one.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with making them a precise fit is that the measurements on each truck vary wildly. Mike touched on this on the original post. Trust me, I have dealt with bunches of these and not a on2 of them fit the same despite the fact that every tray was the same. I would also caution folks that when the originals were discussed, lots of folks wanted them but few purchased them.

Original steel was 11ga. Might want to read that first post.

Last edited:

goldneagle

The problem with making them a precise fit is that the measurements on each truck vary wildly. Mike touched on this on the original post. Trust me, I have dealt with bunches of these and not a on2 of them fit the same despite the fact that every tray was the same. I would also caution folks that when the originals were discussed, lots of folks wanted them but few purchased them.

Original steel was 11ga. Might want to read that first post.
OK I reread the first post. Although your sumerization was dead on. I can alway make the shelves cust to each customer's dimensions. As far as the gauge (thickness) 11 ga is overkill. For such a small area even 16 ga or lighter would work. (especially with the stiffener bends added) Opinions may vary.

Since I do not have massive shop equipment i do not have to mass produce these. I can just do two at a time as needed. That allows for custom fit measurements.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks