• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Burning up passenger side alt belt.

lonewolf90

I was driving my truck to work to day when all of a sudding volt gauge drop and the belt started to squeal really loud and broke the gen2 light came on and stayed on until I shut my truck off when I restarted it the gen 2 light stayed off. I got a new belt and but it on but the gen2 light didn't come back on but the gauge went in the green and it was fine for a bit but started to squeal and I could smell it but the volt gauge didn't drop has much this time between the yellow and the green. I need to get my volt meter back from a friend but was wondering if anybody else had this happen. Can i still drive it with out gen2 hook up.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you need a alternator rebuild , probably a bad bearing . Correct me if I am wrong , but you need 2 alt's for 24 volt start circuit .

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't need the passenger side alt belt installed to run the truck. You will need to manually charge your rear battery every day or two, depending on how many times you start the truck.

lonewolf90

Thank you doghead and rtk. When I bought the truck the place I got it said they had to replace that alt and it looks new. Its not noisy when you spin it by hand but I will call the local starter and alt rebuilder and see what he will charge. Still don't understand why the gen2 light went out.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be 100% sure that the passenger side alt is isolated ground. That means the negative connection is made on an insulated stud that has no continuity to the alternator case. Check the alt after it's rebuilt, to be 100% sure it is before installing it.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not hard at all.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Step-by-step instructions on rebuilding the alternator can be found in the TM 9-2320-289-34 tech manual. You can get the parts at www.aspwholesale.com. The alternators are 27SI 100amp.

The main key is to take pictures as you remove each item. It is very important that each screw and washer is reinstalled in the correct place.

Also be very careful removing the rear bearing. The case can be cracked if you just try to hammer it out. Use some type of support. I use a large deep socket to support the case.

Last edited:

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GM alternator is one of the easiest Alt's to rebuild . Rebuild kits are available and relatively inexpensive , just follow the info on this site and the TM's and you should be good to go . Don't forget about the isolated ground . good luck

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also while you are at it, look for wear on the pully groove. It will be obvious if it is bad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks