• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener on a MEP-80x?

kayak1

Has anybody tried adding sound deadener to a MEP-80x? Now that I am getting more comfortable in pulling the panels, I was thinking that I might order something like:
And attempt to add it to the panels. It should be easier than a car as everything is reasonably flat.

Is this a bad idea? If someone has been down this road, I rather know about the potholes I might be falling into.

Thanks in advance.

e_beauregard

Has anybody tried adding sound deadener to a MEP-80x? Now that I am getting more comfortable in pulling the panels, I was thinking that I might order something like:
And attempt to add it to the panels. It should be easier than a car as everything is reasonably flat.

Is this a bad idea? If someone has been down this road, I rather know about the potholes I might be falling into.

Thanks in advance.
Did you end up installing that sound deadener on your unit? I'm trying to find a suitable replacement for the original foam that's crumbling & falling apart in my MEP-803A

Guyfang

Staff member
The engine and generator don't cool through the enclosure, they have their own pumped air. Go ahead and insulate the enclosure. But, make sure your insulation will tolerate 50°C temperatures.

Of course the set cools through the enclosure. Thats why the gen sets all have a warning in TM and on the sets. "DO Not Run With Doors Open".
Every Army Gen set I have ever seen with an enclosure, works the same. Air is drawn into the rear of the set, by the fan, and passes compleatly through the enclosure to exit in the front.

Summerpaws

The engine and generator don't cool through the enclosure, they have their own pumped air. Go ahead and insulate the enclosure. But, make sure your insulation will tolerate 50°C temperatures.

Of course the set cools through the enclosure. Thats why the gen sets all have a warning in TM and on the sets. "DO Not Run With Doors Open".
Every Army Gen set I have ever seen with an enclosure, works the same. Air is drawn into the rear of the set, by the fan, and passes compleatly through the enclosure to exit in the front.
Even the air cooled Onan in my motorhome has a label saying not to run it with the enclosure open. Lots of engineering went in to airflow for maximum cooling.

87cr250r

The doors are part of the duct. If they're open you're disrupting the airflow. The set does not radiate heat through the doors in any meaningful way.

Last edited:

Ray70

The biggest advantage of that foil covered butyl mat is that it not only blocks sound but also takes away the panels ability to transmit vibration and noise an kills the "tin can" of a big flat piece of aluminum.
On an 802 ( not as much on an 803 ) you can see the top covers vibrating when its running. that mat material will stop that vibration and associated noise.
You don't even need to cover the entire panel for it to work in killing transmitted vibrations, just a patch stuck in the middle of a door will completely change the sound.
It's designed to stick to the floor of a car, directly above the catalytic converter, which will operate at 600-900F, so I don't see any problem with regards to heat.
I've never used that Kilmat sold on Amazon, but I have used many rolls of Dynamat and the Amazon one looks pretty similar and cheaper!

e_beauregard

The biggest advantage of that foil covered butyl mat is that it not only blocks sound but also takes away the panels ability to transmit vibration and noise an kills the "tin can" of a big flat piece of aluminum.
On an 802 ( not as much on an 803 ) you can see the top covers vibrating when its running. that mat material will stop that vibration and associated noise.
You don't even need to cover the entire panel for it to work in killing transmitted vibrations, just a patch stuck in the middle of a door will completely change the sound.
It's designed to stick to the floor of a car, directly above the catalytic converter, which will operate at 600-900F, so I don't see any problem with regards to heat.
I've never used that Kilmat sold on Amazon, but I have used many rolls of Dynamat and the Amazon one looks pretty similar and cheaper!
Thanks, I’ll order some and give it a shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spotrep

Ive used Kilmat in 2 car projects with good results. As previously mentioned (although not explicitly) it doesn't block sound like a sound insulation panel does, but reduces the tin can effect of large flat metal panels like car doors. This is likely obvious to most of you but I think important to state for those that are thinking this will dramatically increase the stealthiness of their mep while running.

I was thinking in regards to temperature concerns, I would consider installing some on a scrap piece of sheet metal and affix it in a safe position inside the genset. If it passes a rigorous test then you can apply it to the genset. I've never had to remove the stuff but I bet its a huge pain to do so, especially after its been heated to oblivion if it were to fail.

spotrep

Did you end up installing that sound deadener on your unit? I'm trying to find a suitable replacement for the original foam that's crumbling & falling apart in my MEP-803A
I think you would be disappointed in the results of this product if you're expecting it to perform like the foam. Its really a vibration dampener only. A high temperature MLV (mass loaded vinyl) would be more appropriate for your situation BUT like @Guyfang says the foam is available and would probably more cost effective and proven.

Guyfang

Staff member
This is The foam mat the Military uses.
NSN: 5640-01-386-6918
Part #: 88-21110
Part #: 5640013866918
Part #: FF40JM02 (Prime)
Company: Soundcoat Company

WIDTH24 INCHES NOMINAL
THICKNESS1 INCHES NOMINAL
NOISE REDUCTION COEFFICIENT RATING0 3/5 NOMINAL
LAYER MATERIALPLASTIC, POLYURETHANE FOAM
SPECIAL FEATURESMAXIMUM TEMP IS P250 DEG F; COLOR IS CHARCOAL GRAY
SUPPLEMENTARY FEATURESLENNGTH IS 54 INCHES

e_beauregard

This is The foam mat the Military uses.
NSN: 5640-01-386-6918
Part #: 88-21110
Part #: 5640013866918
Part #: FF40JM02 (Prime)
Company: Soundcoat Company

WIDTH24 INCHES NOMINAL
THICKNESS1 INCHES NOMINAL
NOISE REDUCTION COEFFICIENT RATING0 3/5 NOMINAL
LAYER MATERIALPLASTIC, POLYURETHANE FOAM
SPECIAL FEATURESMAXIMUM TEMP IS P250 DEG F; COLOR IS CHARCOAL GRAY
SUPPLEMENTARY FEATURESLENNGTH IS 54 INCHES
I’m certainly not opposed to this. The foam that’s currently in my unit is crumbling but it is 22 years old!! I’m just having trouble finding the oem foam online. I’ll continue searching with those numbers provided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk