• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab Soft Top: Bow Spacing

rflegal

Hi folks,

Maybe I missed it; I did several searches through advanced on "cab top bows","soft top bows", etc. Too much info and not finding what I need.
My M36 had no bows on the soft top for the cab when I got it (see avatar). Picked up three surplus to retrofit. The cab windshield frame has three holes, (I assume for stays) but the round tube in the support does not.

I assume the middle one is in the center, but are the two outside ones parallel or do they taper out from the window like the floor? Assume they are symmetrical. I could follow seams in the top I guess. But does anyone have five minutes and a tape measure to check the spacing on their soft cab stays for me, just to be sure? I've had these for a long time; time to drill three holes and put 'em in with the new top!
Thanks for any help.:D
Bob

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just off the top of my head, I'd say mine are equally spaced front and rear. If there is a taper, it is virtually unnoticeable. At least nowhere near as tapered as the cab floor. Do you have the soft top? It should have loops for passing the bows and that should indicate the spacing for your top. By the way, I do not use the loops because they just serve to pull the bows out of the holes when the top flaps about at highway speeds. But they would be useful for determining the spacing.

Monkeyboyarmy

I had to make a couple of center tubes. The dimensions that I have are 51½ inches overall length and the outer holes are 4 inches in from each end. That would make them 43½ inches apart.I'm curious of what your front holes measure.

rflegal

VPed - thanks for the response, I do have the top, didn't notice loops, but I will look!
Monkeyboyarmy - thanks for the spacing. I will measure it all up and post: might be able to take pics this weekend. I'll make sure to document the front too.

Thanks guys... now I have a plan.:p

(better pic below)
20150217_165612.jpg

rustystud

There was a memo about using 5 brace bars on a soft top also. You will have to drill out the holes but with this mod you will not get the sag between the braces like all other soft tops get, especially after getting wet.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have fabricated my own bows using round stock and flat washers. Just need to tack weld the washer to the round after bending. I actually made some a little longer than the one original I had to help tighten up the soft top a bit.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a memo about using 5 brace bars on a soft top also. You will have to drill out the holes but with this mod you will not get the sag between the braces like all other soft tops get, especially after getting wet.
At my age a little sag is to be expected.

Akicita

My Deuce originally had a hardtop but that was replaced with a soft top before I bought the truck. The tarp for the cab has rubbery support patches on the inside to prevent the tarp from rubbing through against the bars. I have had this truck for five years and see no damage on the tarp itself and certainly not on those patches but I can clearly see that the tarp was not made for that truck. The bars and pads are off by more than two inches in places.
I live in S.E. Pennsylvania. Snow and ice accumulate on the roof every winter. My Deuce is not garaged. So far, I see no problems.

rflegal

Ah, is your cab cover one of the later ones, then? I have wondered if they would align. Mine's newer too.
There was also apparently a side-to-side support support as well (perpendicular to the bows). I saw it in one of the manuals. Can't find it again.

BTW, my hometown is Altoona - so I know our NM snows are nothin' like yours. Don't miss the ice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks