• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

can't figure out the screw

edpdx

I finally got a bunch of MFC fuel cans in and a water can as well. I have been trying every screw I have in the garage; but have yet to figure out wat size and thread count fit the water can mount- where the can rack bolt to the floor riser in the Driver rear of the M1009.

Anyone successfully mount their cans? What size is that dang bolt? :neutral:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd guess it's metric, are you trying metric bolts?

kassim503

Dont forget to account for the paint in the threads. Mine took a 1/4" coarse thread bolt, but dont just ram it in there, I swore it would be metric too.

edpdx

I tried a 1/4"-20... too small- just drops right through the puka.. I don't get the feeling GM would have used metric here in 84.

I'll have another look at 5/16-18 or-20. Worse case is they won't be spec if I haVE TO re-tap them.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried a 1/4"-20... too small- just drops right through the puka.. I don't get the feeling GM would have used metric here in 84.

I'll have another look at 5/16-18 or-20. Worse case is they won't be spec if I haVE TO re-tap them.

You must be new to CUCVs, they DO use metric fasteners.

coyotegray

If you use a metric crescent wrench it will work....

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found out the hard way that GM used metric in the CUCVs when I was sitting along side the road with no way to loosen the alt brackets to replace a busted belt. I had plenty of tools with me, just none that were metric.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The annoying thing about them is they use metric and SAE! I have to carry both type tools.

I just bought bolts for the can holder in the back, if I recall they were SAE, I think 5/16. I'll go look in a bit and post the answer later.
I was trying bolts out in one 1009 and couldn't get anything to fit, tried them in the other 1009 which is NOT lined inside... Doh! :oops:
If the paint is thick, you may have to clean out the threads first. ;-)

Many years ago my uncle had a Landcruiser. When he sold it, he gave me a nice big crescent wrench, saying "Here kid, you want this? It's metric so I don't have a use for it anymore." Funny thing is, he was serious. I still have it in my tool bag.

Cheers

edpdx

Just got back from Home depot. The 1/4"- too small, the 5/16" -too large. M7- like a glove. See, you learn something everyday. I better revise my tool kit to include some metric screwdrivers and funnels.

* Yes, I AM new to CUCV forums- thanks for pointing this metric thing out to me.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got back from Home depot. The 1/4"- too small, the 5/16" -too large. M7- like a glove. See, you learn something everyday. I better revise my tool kit to include some metric screwdrivers and funnels.
I am guessing this means they vary in size! :shock:

In one of mine they are indeed 5/16th, I had tried 7mm, they were too loose.

But 5/16th won't fit my other truck, too tight. That one has a lined interior and I thought it was because of the coating getting in the threads, which I have not yet cleaned out. Maybe the 7mm's will fit there...:?

Cheers